thirty-one

Ruby

"Today we gather to celebrate the love of these too people..." the priests voice trailed on as I watched from the very back row. My clip board was still in my hand, everything checked off. Now it was time to watch everything come together. Watch a new forever begin right now as they say,

"I do." Sarah's sweet voice cooed, she never looked away from Craig.
As he said "I do" I sighed. This is why I do my job. I might not get my forever but if I can help others get there's, it's all worth it.
My eyes wandered to Jimmy, dressed in a white button down and a tie, smiling at the couple. His eyes drifted to mine and I smiled back.
As soon as they kissed, it started pouring rain. And I mean pouring. They smiled halfway through the kiss, and Craig spun Sarah around and they ran down the aisle. I smiled as they ran off into the reception area.
Everybody else followed but I stayed, I tilted my head towards the sky and smiled.
"It was beautiful." I heard jimmy say. I opened my eyes, he was standing in front of me.
I laughed and nodded.
"So you just gonna stay out in the rain?"
"Yea. Just a for a lil bit."
Jimmy shrugged then leaned down and slowly kissed me. I lost myself and also found myself in just one kiss. It was like the universe whispered "it's him."
He smiled at me and walked towards the barn.

Jimmy

I watched Ruby from inside the barn. She was sitting sitting in the back row, soaking up the rain. She should really come inside before she gets too cold. But part of me didn't want to disturb her. How could she look so beautiful just sitting there?
I looked behind my shoulder, everybody was eating and laughing and talking.
I walked back to the buffet line and grabbed a plate for Ruby and one for me.
As soon as I was heading to walk outside with our food and a blanket, the rain stopped and sun poured through the windows.
I looked at Ruby and she spread her arms out and felt the suns warmth.
This girl....

"Hey, food."
"My name isn't food. It's Ruby." He smirked
"Oh haha." I rolled my eyes and smiled.
She willingly took the plate of food.
"Hey, follow me." I smiled and led us to the big weeping willow. I pulled back it's vines and we walked in, Ruby sat against the tree. I dried the blanket over her shoulders and sat across from her.

"Do you think you'll ever meet your soulmate, Jimmy?" She asked so innocently.
How could she not know my soulmate was sitting across from me? Didn't she understand she was the one who made me feel most alive? The one I always want to fall asleep next to and wake up next to. How could she not know there was no one in the entire world I would rather be with forever then with her?

"I already have."
She looked into my eyes, and blushed.