twenty-seven

Ruby

Hot tears welled in my eyes. How could he say things like that? It was like he was stabbing me in the heart slowly.
Slow enough I could handle it but it still hurt like hell.
Why didn't he try? Why didn't he fly to Arizona? If he wanted me that bad he would've.
This is insane. What am I even thinking. I'm not 17 anymore. People don't mean what they say. Flowers arent promises.
I took off my coat and my clothes and put on black leggings and a big, chunky sweater. I grabbed my laptop and scrolled through the emails. I stared out the window. Rain. Gray clouds. Kinda how I feel right now.
I heard my phone ring.
"Hello, Ruby speaking." I answered
"Hey! It's Sarah!" Sarah was my client. She was having her wedding in town.
"Hey what's up?"
"So the wedding is in a week, and it's pouring rain and I am not doing an indoor wedding."
"Sarah relax the weather is so sensitive it could be blazing hot in a week." I reassured her
"Okay. How are things?"
"Good, I just received the final floral arrangement pictures so I will email them to you asap and catering is all good, venue is good, everything's great."
"How are you? I know it's stressful having everything in a different state."
"Oh I'm fine it's um uh very...strange being back here but it's good." I said
"Alright well Greg and I gotta run, we are going out to dinner with some friends so I'll talk to you soon!"
"Alright bye!" I hung up and dropped my phone on my bed and put my laptop aside. I sighed and curled up in a ball under the covers.
2 hours later

I was woken up by a knocking at the door. I yawned and sleepily walked to the door and swung it open. Jimmy Newton. Standing in my doorway. That woke me up.
"I'm sorry did I wake you?"
"Yeah you did." I said bluntly
"Sorry. Um, we need to talk." He said
"Uh actually no I think we don't need to ever again." I said
"Ruby give me a chance." He looked into my eyes, "can I take you out to dinner tonight?"
I pondered. I really didn't want to but I should give him a second chance.
"Okay."
"Really?" He smiled. That smile was the same one when I told him I'd go to the winter formal with him.
"Yes. Pick me up in an hour okay?"
"Okay." He smiled and I started to close the door ," oh and Ruby?"
"Yeah?"
"I've missed you."
I looked at him and smiled a little and closed the door.
My heart was racing.
No no no. You can't let him back in.