nineteen

Ruby

"Ruby! Dinner is ready!" I heard my mom calling me. I gladly walked away from my homework and walked downstairs. I had athletic shorts on and a faded old tee and some striped socks.
Basically my "at-home uniform".
"Smells good." My dad walked through the front door in his work clothes and kissed my mom. He set his briefcase down and sat at the table. He's a lawyer.
"So.....tell me how it went!" My mom brought the last dish of mashed potatoes over to the table and sat down.
"Well...we won!" My dad smiled.
"Oh honey that's great! Woohoo!" She squeezed my dads hand and we all got food and started eating.
"We can celebrate with umm victory rolls!" My mom laughed and held up a dinner roll.
I smiled at my parents. They were so in love. I wanted a love like theirs so badly. I won't settle for any less.
"So I have more news." My dad smiled at mom and I.
"What?" I smiled a little
"We got the house!" He smiled big and my mom gasped and hugged him.
"Wait what? What house?" I laughed confusingly
"Honey, your father and I bought a house in Arizona. We are moving! I was going to tell you sooner but things where happening and here we are!" My mom smiled
"What?" My face fell, "we're moving?"
"As soon as school ends yes. Are you okay?" My mom looked at me
"Am I okay?" I repeated and shook my head, "you're asking me to just pick up everything and move to a place I've never been and leave my friends?"
"Actually we aren't even asking. We are moving, sweetie." My dad said
"No! No I don't want to this isn't okay with me! Why didn't you ask me! IM NOT LEAVING!" I grabbed 3 dinner rolls and ran upstairs with tears in my face. I slammed my door and threw myself on my bed.
Later
I was sitting in bed after my shower. I had my comfiest pajamas on and my glasses. I was solemnly eating my dinner rolls.
"Honey?" My mom slowly opened the door."are you okay?"
"No." I said quietly
"Talk to me." She sat on my bed
"You already know how I feel about this." I glanced at my phone and saw texts from Jimmy
"Whose texting you?" She asked, looking at my phone
"Just a friend mom." She looked at me and then looked at my phone and grabbed it.
"Ruby. Please tell me this isn't Jimmy Newton." She said
That's when I lost it.
"Yeah moms it is. It's Jimmy Newton. Jimmy Newton. JIMMY FREAKIN NEWTON MOM! And you know what mom? I LOVE HIM!"
"Ruby! Ruby what has gotten into you! You have been so distant and rebellious ever since the incident and now this! Something I never thought you'd do!" She looked like she was going to cry
"Why mom? Because I'm your little pure innocent angel?"
"Ruby watch your tone!"
"I'm done with all this mom. I'm done. I love him. He loves me. It's as simple as that."
"That's doesn't change the fact that we are moving in a month."
"Why don't you like him mom? Why do you try and separate us? He is so sweet. He writes me letters and he buys me flowers and he is always with me during panic attacks or ticking episodes." I was crying at this point, "he loves me with all he has mom! He loves me with a love I didn't know existed."
"Ruby I'm sorry but we are moving and I don't want you with him." She rubbed my shoulder and walked out.