thirty

Ruby

"No no no," I shook my head sternly, "the lights are supposed to be twisted around the tree and then be drooping off the branches."
I sighed and watched as 3 men re strung all the lights.  The wedding was tomorrow and it suddenly felt like there was no where near enough time. My head was already cloudy with all the wedding prep, then add your ex boyfriend you thought you'd spend forever with walking back into your life like he never left. It was all too much. Should we just let bygones be bygones?
"Oh my gosh this is beautiful!" Sarah and her very reserved husband, Craig, walked up with awe in their eyes.
"Do you like it so far? I know it's such a mess right now. But the weather is absolutely perfect."
"I love it! The lights are just outstanding." Sarah put her hands up to her face and smiled.
"I'm so glad you like it," I smiled then looked at my checklist and then up at them, "the barn is almost ready, so you want to see it?"
"Yes yes yes!" Sarah was so giddy, I could tell Craig was excited too. He never really showed it though.
"Wow." Was the first thing I heard from both of them.
I smiled and looked around. Circular tables adorned with ivory and the lightest pink, scattered the old worn barn. On the left side was the dance floor. Lights everywhere, a flower back drop too.
"I was going to ask you if there's too many flowers in that backdrop? I know it can get overpowering and seem a little birthday-ish." I glanced at Sarah
"Oh no it's all so perfect! You really outdid yourself, thank you so much."
"Of course, now you guys should get going because-" as my eyes wandered I almost choked on the saliva in my mouth. Jimmy was waltzing in the barn like it was his turf.
"Is...something wrong?" Sarah asked.
My mouth still gasped open, Jimmy walked right up to Craig and slapped him on the back.
"This is amazing dude!"
"Thanks, glad you could make it." Craig said
"Uh um...i was saying you guys should go because uh...um because-"
"Long time no see Ruby." Jimmy smirked and I felt a dozen butterflies in my stomach
"Oh my gosh, you guys know each other?" Sarah laughed
"You could say that I guess, um why are you here Jimmy?"
Jimmy laughed and out his arms in the air, "I'm the groomsman of honor."
I couldn't even believe this. Ever since our date I had planned on trying to work this thing out with Jimmy. But part of me also wanted to just run from that idea. Maybe fate is bringing us together.
"That's great." I laughed, even though it was fake.
"Okay!" Sarah could sense the awkwardness, "Craig and I are going to look over the flowers then head out."
"I can show you-"
"No no, you stay here and uh talk with Jimmy." Sarah smiled and waved.
I watched them leave then looked right at Jimmys gorgeous smirking face and shook my head.
"What? Don't act like we haven't made amends." He reaches for me and I backed up
"Oh we have, but you knew that I was planning a wedding. I told you all about it when you drove me home. So don't pretend this is such a surprise Jimmy Newton."
"Okay I should've told you but I wanted to surprise you."
The smile I had been hiding finally peeked out.
"Now, what are you doing for lunch?" He tossed his arm around me and we walked out side slowly.
"Nothing at all."
"Then let me take you somewhere." He looked down at me, and I looked up at him.
"I have work to do."
"Your work will be here tomorrow."
"Jimmy tomorrow is the wedding!"
"Oh come on! You can spare an hour or two can't you? For your boyfriend?"
"You are not my boyfriend." I laughed
"Not yet...but I will be again."
"Oh really? Well then fine I'll go to lunch with you. Pick me up in half an hour at the hotel?" We made it to his car and stopped walking
"You got it babe." He winked at me and got in his car
"Jimmy I'm not your babe!" I yelled as he drove away.
I felt my face burning up and laughed.

...

Windows down, music on, wind in my hair. Such a cliche thought. But it was 80 degrees out and I had my swimsuit on and Jimmy was driving us to the lake and I felt like I was 17 again.
The only thing different was our relationship. We weren't those head over heels in love teenagers anymore. We were adults grabbing the bits and pieces left of what we once had, trying to make that happen again.
"Did you miss this place?" He asked me
"Yes." And that was all we said the entire drive down. But no words needed to be said. Our presences spoke for themselves. So much being said in a silent place.
When we did arrive, we set up a little picnic. Gingham tablecloth, PB&J sandwiches, and a lot of potato chips.
"And this." He handed me my favorite sweet tea. It was only sold here, in this town.
"Oh my gosh you have no idea how much I missed this!" I blushed when I remembered the time he had sent me a whole case a few weeks after I had moved.
"So, hows it in Arizona really? Last time I asked, you said there were a bunch of old people." He smiled
Ugh that smile.
"That is very true. But, now I live in the city. Scottsdale. It's where my office is." I took a big gulp.
"Office?" He took a bite of his sandwich and chewed while he thought , "so you kinda got a lot in Arizona huh?"
"Yeah."
"So you wouldn't ever leave?" He looked in my eyes and I knew what he really wanted to ask me.
I thought for a minute or two.
"I don't know."
He nodded.
After a few silent moments, he got up and tossed off his shirt. Sure he was fit then, but now...he was chiseled.
I couldn't keep my self from staring.
"Ruby?" He smirked and dove into the lake.
I wrapped my arms around my legs and thought. Where would we be if I never moved away? Would I be planning Sarah's wedding right now? Would Jimmy and I be married? Would we have had any kids?
"Ruby!"
I immediately looked up. Jimmy was standing in front of me, dripping wet.
"Come on." He reaches out his hand.
I gently took it, and he gently grasped mine as if they were made of glass.
I rolled my eyes and nudged into him and ran into the lake.
I heard him laugh behind me.
Suddenly I found myself falling.