Chapter One - Three Months Before The Move

Chapter One – Three months before the move

Bella's POV

I was running to save my own life, but the gang was faster than me, and when they caught up to me they started beating on me. When they were finished they backed away, the leader pulled a knife out of his pocket and stalked towards me. His thoughts registered in my mind and I began to cry even harder, he wanted to kill me like he has been killing people here in Phoenix his whole life.

Suddenly a guy about seventeen years old jumped in front of me and let out a fierce growl, which scared the crap out of me. The gang of five people weren't phased at all, he grew more irritated and the leader stepped towards him. I told him, “Run! My life isn't worth saving to risk your own!” He ignored me and continued to glare at the leader, then the leader swung the knife at him a few seconds later. The guy quickly grabbed the leader by the wrist and punched him in the face, the others took off running while the leader fell to the ground crying like a baby about his nose. I wanted to kick him so hard in the family jewels, then the guy broke the leader's left femur and he yelped in pain.

When the guy came towards me I saw his eyes were pitch black and took a step back, he said, “I'm not going to hurt you.” His thought almost made my heart beat faster, 'I don't understand how someone could hurt this beautiful woman.' He slowly placed his arm around my waist and lead me away from the scene, he was kind of acting overprotective of me and I didn't mind.

I asked him, “What's your name?” He replied, “Edward.” Then I asked him, “What's your last name?” He thought, 'I guess I can tell her, I'm sure I won't be seeing her again.' I wanted to slap him in the back of the head for even thinking that, but I didn't because he saved me after all. He told me with a sigh, “Cullen, I'm Edward Cullen.” I responded, “It's nice to meet you Edward Cullen, I'm Bella Swan.” Then I asked him, “Are you from around here, Edward?” He replied, “No, I'm from the Olympic Peninsula.” I told him, “I know where that's at, I was born in Washington.” He asked me, “Do you happen to be related to the Chief of Police, Charlie Swan from Forks?” I responded, “He's my father.”

Edward was silent for a minute, before saying, “Then I've been pulled over by your father a few times.” I asked laughing, “What did you get pulled over for?” He replied in one word: “Speeding.” I asked him, “How fast were you going?” He responded, “Oh, I was going about a hundred-twenty miles an hour.” I stared at him in shock, I asked, “Don't you think you were going a little too fast?” He replied with a grin, “Nope.” I rolled my eyes playfully at him as we continued walking, somehow he managed to lead me in the right direction.

A few minutes later I said flat out, “I know you can read minds Edward, but for some reason you can't read mine.” He asked surprised, “How do you know?” I replied, “I can read minds just like you.” I breathed in through my nose and started gagging, he asked concerned, “What's wrong?” I responded, “I can smell blood; I'm bleeding, aren't I.” He replied, “Yes, but you didn't lose too much.

He suddenly lifted me into his arms and said, “Let's get you home. Where do you live?” I responded, “About five blocks from here, in the same direction we're heading now.” He told me, “I'll get you home.” When I looked into his eyes I noticed they were golden-brown, but I didn't tell him I saw his eyes change colors. Then he licked my cheek a few seconds later, I couldn't stop myself from laughing. He looked at me confused and said, “That wasn't the reaction I was expecting from you.” I told him, “Well, I know you're not going to hurt me.”

Fifteen minutes later he came to a stop in front of my mom's house, he set me back on my feet. I felt a gravitational pull towards him and in just a few seconds I found myself kissing him, when I realized what I was doing I pulled away and quickly apologized. All he did was pull me in for another kiss and I didn't mind one bit, he broke the kiss a few minutes later.