Chapter Six|| Haunted

{Alara's POV}

I stared at my uneaten cereal as the memories Scarlett resurfaced floated around in my mind. It had been three days and it had been three days of misery. I didn't want to be reminded of the time where my life went to shit. 

"Cereal doesn't eat itself." A voice spoke, and I looked up seeing Evan walk into the kitchen. 

"Do you feel haunted by that day?" I randomly asked as he got a water from the fridge and his movements halted slightly. 

"What day?"

"The day I killed Alec." I mumbled, rubbing my arms subconsciously. 

He was silent for a moment before speaking. "I feel haunted by a lot of days, Alara, and your brother's death isn't one of them. He was a psycho."

"But that was the day I...got overcome by the dark magic. I should have known. I could have saved you from a decade of misery."

"Alara, let's not dwell on the past. It's done and over."

"How can you even look at me?!" I yelled. "I knew there was something wrong with me after that day and I kept lying to you! I whispered in your ear for years until my magic consumed both of us. I ruined you! I-"

"Enough!" his voice boomed, shutting me up. 

My lip quivered as I fought back the tears. I hated myself. Evan cursed, resting his hands on the counter as he lowered his head. 

"I do not want to speak of the past. I'm no longer there and I've moved on. Let it be." he finalized, grabbing his water and walked into the living room, leaving me. 

I was doing so good...until that shifted screwed with my head! 

I remembered the days I spent coaxing bad things into Evan's mind, rerouting it. It was like I didn't have control of my body; I was possessed even. And Evan bent to my will and listened. He followed my lead and I acted as the alpha. I made the decisions. I made the pack turn against their own kind. I gave us the name of horror. I was a monster

I deserved to die. 

Then King Christian came; the wolves' night in shining armor. He attacked with his men at night and ended us from the inside out. I remember like it was yesterday. 

I laid with Evan in bed that night. He was fast asleep, but those voices in my head kept me wide awake. They were whispering sweet nothings into my thoughts; corrupting them. 

I saw myself ruling our kind with the power I had held. I was thriving with it. I was silent until I heard the screams outside and the vicious growls.

(A/N: listening to this song as you read the rest of the chapter makes it 10x better !!) 

I bolted up, shaking Evan awake. "People are outside!" I yelled and his eyes widened in alert, his eyes going to his wolf's near black shade.

We rushed out of bed, heading downstairs. Once we made our ways outside, my heart dropped, and for the first time in years...I was scared. Royal wolves were slaughtering our people. Children and women were being put on buses. The men were fighting back but horrifically losing.  The Royals were too strong. 

That was when I saw his wolf; King Christian. The biggest wolf I had ever seen. Evan instantly shifted, running after him. 

"Evan, no!" I yelled and raised my hand to use my power feeling it was the only way out but nothing happened.