Chapter Eight|| Who was he

{Alara's POV}

"I can't believe that son of a bitch got in," Evan growled as I sat on our bed, my chin resting on my bent knees. 

"I know..."

"Who even was he?"

"Obviously the shifter that has been messing with me. I'm surprised he showed his true face instead of wearing my brother's to get at me."

"He's either getting bolder, or it wasn't truly his true face," Evan stated and I nodded in agreement. 

"It doesn't make sense. Why would he put himself in danger like that? Showing himself to me. When I discovered this bastard in Alaric's mind, he ran far from me. He first used my brother's face to stun me and he escaped and left no traces of himself. Now he's coming back for me? Is he delusional?" I asked and Evan's brows furrowed for a minute before he replied.

"Wait...why haven't you done anything?" I shrugged but he saw right through me. 

"You're scared," he stated and I met his eyes and slowly nodded. "But not of him," he added. 

"I'm scared to relinquish that power I mashed down for so many years. I hadn't even tapped into it until the war happened for almost six years after being free of the dark magic. And that night my body was thriving. It missed that feeling of control and conquer. I want nothing more than to go after this bastard, but a small part of me fears what I'll become. I don't know much about shifters, but I know they bring out the worst in you...and that is something this world does not wish to see from me again." Evan remained silent. 

"Did you get a scent or anything?" I asked changing the topic. 

"Nothing. He's good. Or she...whatever they might be. Have you thought about Scarlett helping you out?"

"I've already been communicating with her about it. She did a reading, and she discovered some...minor things, but after she told me that it was a dark, dark power that felt almost even stronger than her; the hybrid. That's crazy." 

"You're stronger than Scarlett, though, so you could take him."

"You're not getting my point, Evan, I don't want to."

"So you're just going to let this shifter terrorize you?!"

"If it comes to it then yes. I'm a big girl, I've taken a lot worse." 

"That is giving up and we do not give up. I'll hunt this man down myself if I have to."

"He's powerful! You'd be an idiot to go against him! Why would you even consider that if I won't even do it?!"

"Because you're my mate, Alara! It's what you do! You protect one another...did you forget that? I'm not going to let anyone terrorize what's mine. And I won't stop searching until he's dead. You're either with me in this or you're not. He's feeding off this because he sees us not doing anything."

I cursed, getting off the bed as I ran my hands through my hair. "I don't know why I said that. Of course I know you'll do that for me, but I don't want you to. This is my battle and I have to deal with this my way. If even that doesn't involve me doing tough magic, I can do this." 

"Stop being hard-headed, Alara." He growled out. 

"I'm not! I'm doing what is best for the both of us!"

"What is the best then?! Huh?! Sitting around doing—"

"You not dying again!" I yelled and he froze. 

"What?"

Shit.

"Do you not remember the night Christian came for us?" I asked, completely exhausted.