Chapter Fourteen|| Fear

{Alara's POV}

I sat, paralyzed with fear. The face that haunted my dreams at night was here in the flesh...alive and grinning. No longer was he a boy...but a man. 

I went to speak but he turned his head and held up his hand. "No time for chit chat, we need to leave before the others come back." 

The cuffs around me and the ropes fell off with ease as did Evan's. Evan was quick to take a protective stance in front of me and Alec rolled his eyes. 

"Nows not the time. Let's go." I gulped, following Alec's retreating figure. 

Why hasn't he killed me yet? What's his sick plan? 

We came to a back door and once he got it open, he ran for it. I was tempted to run the other direction, but something in me wouldn't. 

As much as I hated to admit it...I wanted to know what the hell happened to him all these years. 

We made it into the woods easily and after a few minutes of fleeing the coven's quarters...we stopped. 

"What are you doing here? How are you alive? Why haven't you killed me?" I blurted out, trying to catch my breath. 

Alec started walking again and I huffed, wandering behind him. It took me a minute to realize that he led us to the place I killed him...or I thought I did. 

"You killed me." He stated finally.

"I did and then I put your body into flames so tell us...how are you standing here in one piece?" I asked. 

Evan's arm wrapped around my waist as if Alec would snap at any minute. 

"I put a spell on myself. I had enemies...even those of my own family. I knew my mind was getting weaker by the second with the dark magic within me. I knew soon enough, I'd die somehow. Whether that be my own doing or someone else's."

I looked at the pain that was visible in his eyes. Like he was replaying his last moments over and over again in his mind. 

"The blood moon?"

"The blood moon," He nodded. "I linked myself to it so I would be brought back the next time it phased. When you burned my body... my ashes were sewn into the ground in this exact spot. The exact spot I woke up in days ago." 

He looked at me and I wanted to run for the hills. This all seemed unreal. 

"I was in another place for the time being," he stated. "I watched over you. I watched you live with the dark magic I once contained." 

"Why didn't you ever tell me you had it? I could have helped you!"

"No...you couldn't have. It wasn't your burden."

"It doesn't make sense. Why did you even get involved with it?" I asked. 

His head dropped, as he looked at the ground. "Because mother did."

What?

"I didn't mean to kill her," he told me and tears instantly filled my eyes. 

"Don't..."

"It's true. It's like what happened when you killed me. You felt you had no other choice. She was so...gone. She came after me one day and I-"

"You're saying she did black magic?! I don't believe you!"

"I don't blame you for not wanting to. But it's true. She came after me one day when I caught her practicing it in the basement. Her eyes... God, they were pitch black. She was close to killing me that day."