Chapter Twenty-Nine|| The Goddess

{Alara's POV}

I anxiously waited for the arrival of Alpha Jackson. Since we had shown up late, I figured everyone else would have been here already but apparently, that wasn't the case.

"Why do you keep looking around?" Evan asked, noticing me doing so.

"Just...taking everything in," I mumbled and Evan raised a brow.

"You're looking for the person that might have some answers on the Goddess. That's why you wanted to come so bad." He knew me too well. "Alpha Jackson is sitting at our table and you seem to be looking for someone. I put it together ten minutes ago." he chuckled.

"Fine, you caught me, but I really do think he will have some knowledge on her. I mean, he's the smartest man we know. His title proves that."

"Yes, he is. But that doesn't mean he'll talk to us. Alpha Jackson...isn't really a man of many words. He's blunt, doesn't take anyone's shit, and doesn't care to help those who caused harm many years ago...aka us."

"So you don't like him?"

"Actually he's probably the only alpha I do tolerate solely for those reasons. Kinda reminds me of myself." he chuckled and I let out a snort.

"You are nothing like that man."

"True, but I relate to being blunt and not taking anyone's shit." he grinned.

I rolled my eyes, looking away towards the entrance. Is he not coming?

The alphas of the packs were here except for him. Royal, War, Power, Immaculate, Malevolent, and Rampant...so where was Intelligence when you need him?

"Ladies and gentlemen!" A voice called and we looked to the top of the stairs in the ballroom seeing Alpha Ryker standing next to his mate with a grin.

"Stop it!" I heard a faint yell-whisper and glanced at the table next to us.

Luna Octavia was glaring at Alpha Mason as he rolled his eyes. Then I remembered Alpha Ryker isn't exactly Mason's favorite.

I held back my laugh directing my attention back to Alpha Ryker as he gave his welcoming speech.

The chair moved next to me and my heart jumped as Alpha Jackson and his mate sat down.

He's finally here.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes and he looked rather bored by this whole thing. I don't blame him.

"Please enjoy your dinner and converse with those around you! Let the night begin!" Ryker spoke, taking his mate's hand and walked down the stairs to his seat at the table with the queen and king.

Dinner was served shortly after and it didn't surprise me that you had many options to choose from. Evan chose a steak, I chose the chicken option.

Though, I wasn't in the mood to eat. I just wanted my damn answers and to get the hell out of here.

"Let's hope this ball doesn't end up like the last," Luna Aurora mused.

"I ain't coming back if it does." Jackson's gruff voice responded.

I need to muster up the courage to start a conversation with him but I didn't have it in me...so I nudged Evan. He gave me a confused look as he chewed his steak and raised a brow as if asking 'what?'.

I slightly nodded my head in Jackson's direction and Evan rolled his eyes, bringing a napkin to his mouth, wiping it.

"Alpha Jackson, how are you?" Evan asked and I mentally praised him.