Chapter Seven|| Enough

Listen to song above as you read.
{Alara's POV}

I stood on the balcony connected to our room, leaning against the railing. It was an early morning with a lovely breeze. Birds tweeted as I sipped my coffee taking it all in. I had calmed down since yesterday, thankfully.

I glanced back at Evan sleeping soundlessly. He looked so peaceful, which I envied. My sleep was interrupted by the horrible thoughts and memories of my previous years of hell. The prodding of witches trying to reroute my mind, the heartache of leaving my mate, the sleepless nights.

I knew I had to find this shifter, if I didn't my mind would never be at peace and I will always will on edge; paranoid.

"Good morning." Evan's voice floated through the air, once again bringing me from my thoughts.

I turned seeing him walk up to me. "Morning." I replied, attempting a smile.

"Sleep well?" he asked.

"Of course." I lied, turning away from his gaze.

"You don't meet my eyes when you lie," Evan stated, his hand coming around to softly grip my chin and turned me to face him. "Talk to me."

"It's nothing you don't already know." I replied, pulling my chin from his grasp.

He sighed. "What happened to us?" he suddenly asked and I glanced curiously at him.

"What do you mean?"

"We were so strong, look at us now."

"We were powerful the wrong way, Evan, and that is something I don't wish to repeat." I replied and he shook his head.

"We were strong in love, Alara, I don't give a damn about power or our abilities. I'm talking about us; our love. Where is it today?" he asked and I looked away from his gaze.

"I ask myself that every day, Evan. You pushed me away for so long, even after the ten years spent away from one another. The first time in Christian's office when I saw you again after the years, my heart finally beat again with a meaning. I had a reason to want to live...and then we get home and you just let me go. You broke me. There were nights I needed you and woke up to find the bed empty."

He was silent for a moment. "I'm sorry, but I had and still do have to figure myself out again. This is new to me. I know I'm not an easy person to talk to right now, but don't feel that I don't care about you or I don't want to help you. I'm always here for you, Alara."

"Maybe we do need to figure ourselves out again. Maybe we need more time." I mumbled and he gave me a confused look.

"Time? Don't you think this unspoken wall should be torn down between us? We don't need time."

I set my cup on the railing with a sigh and ran my hands over my face. "I don't know what you want from me, Evan. I'm going insane. With this shifter out there, I don't feel safe, happy, or content. Before I can start a new life, I have to end these demons from my past and that starts with ending whoever this shifter is." he slowly nodded.

"And I get that. I too have to deal with the so-called demons. And that starts with opening up to you," my eyes widened slightly. "Not today, but soon. I'll tell you everything like you wanted me to in the beginning. I'll tell you what happened to me those ten years we were apart. I'll tell you exactly the things you wondered the minute we stepped foot back into this pack. I'll tell you what was my undoing. Maybe then you can open up to me too. And maybe then we can learn how to love one another again." he turned away and left my side.