Chapter 2 Long Gone

The hum of the air conditioning is almost loud enough to cover the sounds of the tears escaping my eyes. I sit in the corner farthest from the door fearing the moment when Negan would come through it.

Though I hate being in this hell-hole at least it's given me time to think. That man makes me sick. He is so ruthless and vile, I can't understand how he could do that to another human being.

And why does he want to speak with me?

My father is the leader, he knows way more than I ever could.
Lost in my own head, I hear a voice approaching the door.

"All right I'll be back in a sec"

"It's him" I whimper. The door flings open.

"Honey I'm home!" He announces sarcastically.

"Where are you, babe?" His eyes searches the room until he spots me sitting in the corner.

"There you are! I thought you escaped and I was going to have to smash your daddy's head in". He jokes as he sits down next to me.

Head buried in my lap, I can't even look at him.

"I'm sorry for what I did out there but you have to understand, you killed some of my men."

"I didn't kill anybody," I manage to mumble through my tears.

"I mean your friends" he explains in an oddly comforting tone, rubbing his hand up and down my back.

I don't pull away, something about his touch feels calming.

"I want to leave" I lift my head and speak more confidently than I have this entire night.
We sit there in silence staring face-to-face until he responds, "Okay I won't force you to stay here."

Relieved, I begin to stand but before I could he grabs my arm. "Soon"

"What?" I asks blatantly confused.

"Well unless you want to try to find your way home in the dark" he mocks.

The stupid grin he gives me is enough to send me over the edge, I snatch away from him and scold him, "Where is my family?"

He doesn't hesitate to answer.

"Whoa calm down baby, you actin' like a big girl now?" He chuckles "They're long gone honey, collecting my shit, we'll see them in the next coming days".

The feeling of complete disbelief takes over me,
"They would never leave me...he would never leave me"

I fall back to the floor weeping. The short-lived tough girl act crumbles and the real me resurfaces, weak and vulnerable.

Negan still sitting there, wraps his arms around me,
"They did, and Rick didn't even seem too worried about you"

"What about Daryl?" I sniffle.

Negan shakes his head, "He didn't put up much of a fight."

I say nothing in return, as I sit there crying in the arms of the man who just murdered my friend.