Chapter 31 New Beginnings

4 months later.....

My labor continues and the pain is more intense than anything I could've ever imagined. Nothing could be more brutal, not whips or chains.

Negan stands nervously beside me, and I grasp tightly at his hand.

"You're doing a good job, y/n, just a few more pushes" Dr. Carson coaches me, as the baby begins crowning.
I scream at the top of my lungs, my tears drenching the hospital robe.

My stomach tightens even harder, and I hear my own scream without being aware of making it.

"One more push!" Dr. Carson cheers me on as he prepares himself to catch the baby.
I let out one more gut-twisting holler, and straightaway my screams are replaced by someone else's.

"Congratulations, It's a boy!" he hands me him, after wrapping him in a towel.

I look into his new beautiful eyes, a new consciousness, a new perfect life-form.

Negan hunches over me, and we both get lost in our son's eyes. Tiny fingers curl around my pinky and I watch the newborn peer through his sparkling eyes at what must be such a strange world after life in the womb.

His legs kick in a tiny jagged motion, looking for that resistance they are used to but finding nothing but air.
He stretches his hands, they barely rise above his head.

I can tell that Negan wants to hold him, so I gently hand him over placing him in my husband's strong arms.
The look on Negan's face tells that he a little apprehensive, he's afraid of hurting him.

"What a precious little ass kicker" he leans in and kisses him on top of his head making him instantaneously stop crying.
Laying against his chest his gaze remains focused on his daddy.

"Negan Jr?" I whisper, smiling up at him.
Negan looks at me with a mix of surprise and excitement, "are you sure?"

"Of course, I love you and I want our son to be like you"

He chuckles and hands him back to me, "you better be careful what you wish for"

Negan Jr. smiles and it's as sweet as a summer strawberry and fills me with sunshine I never knew existed in the world.

In that instant I know I will do anything to protect him.