Chapter 9 Good Graces

The sound of his boots ricochet off the walls as we approach his bedroom.
"Welcome back!" he gently sits me on the bed.

My eyes fiercely stare him down, as he goes to sit next to me, "Have you learned your lesson?" his voice echoes.

"Yeah" I reply with no emotion to my tone.

"Well, Congratulations, you're back in my good graces." he stretches out his arms in an attempt to hug me.

Ignoring his gesture, I lean over and cover myself with the sheets.

He looks at me, then rolls his eyes, "I'll see you later, I got shit to do" he gets up and walks out the door.

I watch him as he leaves, making me remember that I need to find Daryl, he was always the person I go to for comfort in situations like this.

Just as my feet touch the floor, there's a knock at the door.
"Come in," I say in a shy timid voice, not knowing who it could be.

The door opens and walks in a woman in heels and a sleek black dress. We both look at each other in confusion, her face becomes irate. She grits her teeth, "Who the fuck are you?".

I stand up defensively, "I'm Y/N, and you?"

"Amber, one of Negan's actual wives" she retreats, slamming the door.

He has wives? I sit down trying to process the information. Finding Daryl goes to the back of my mind, and Negan's supposed wives occupy my immediate thoughts.

I open the door, peaking to see if the coast was clear, then tiptoe out gently closing the door back.

I wander through the hallways searching aimlessly for clues of where they might be until suddenly I hear laughter and the sound of a T.V. I go to investigate, as I get closer I can make out voices, they sound like women.

Creeping towards the room, I look through the space between the door and frame. I could only see two of the women but I could tell by the number of voices there was at least four of them.

Those must be his wives, I guess I should introduce myself. I step into the room, they all turn and look at me.

"See!" the woman that I had just met points at me."She's who I found in Negan's bed!"

Shock and disgust cover their faces, and the tension in the room intensifies.

"I'm Y/N" I announce awkwardly.

For a moment none spoke, they exchange looks. Amber brakes the silence, "So, where are you from?". It is written all over her face that she doesn't want me here.

I answer shortly "Alexandria".

Her jaw drops, "You're that whore, Dwight warned us about!" She begins walking towards me.

The red-haired girl gets up and pulls Amber back, and warns her, "Don't do anything stupid".

The other two girls still sit whispering to each other.

The redhead motions to the door, "I think you should leave" she sounds as if she hates my guts. I nod my head and leave them to their gossip.

I continue through the halls.

"Hey, where are you going?" a voice calls from behind me.
My neck snaps back to see a man I hadn't met before.

"Um, just looking around" I utter nervously. He proceeds towards me and goes in for a handshake,
"I'm Joey, by the way".

I smile at him not knowing what to say, I'm sure he already knows who I am. "Want to get something to eat?" he asks.

I looking up and down at his overweight body, it confuses me why Negan would even keep him around.

My eyes met back with his, "Sure" I agree.

"Cool, right this way" he leads me to a large room filled with people and supplies. I notice there is a line, but Joey doesn't seem to pay any mind to it.

"You can take whatever you want" he boasts, taking a bite out of a sandwich. Not wanting to be rude I only take an apple then I step out of the way.

I observe as another savior speaks to him. I watch his face go from prideful to cowardly. I couldn't hear much other than the fact that the guy called him, 'fat joey', because he said it loud enough for the entire room to start taking an interest.

Joey walks up to me, after being humiliated, "I have to get back to work".

Scared of being left alone, I grab his hand, "Please stay, just for a little bit" giving him the same puppy eyes that I used on Negan.

His face turns bright red, "Uh, okay" he stutters.

"Take me somewhere else" I smile letting go of his hand. He pauses to think, "We could go and feed the walkers".

My eyes widen.

"Don't worry they're locked behind a gate" he reassures me, "I promise it'll be fun". I'm skeptical but I give in out of curiosity.

We leave the crowded area and reach a more peaceful part of the Sanctuary. I decide to confront him before we reach the exit to the outside.

I stand in front of him, stopping him from moving forward, "Why do they call you fat joey", he looks down at his body, "Isn't it obvious".

My hand creases his chubby face, "You shouldn't let them talk to you like that". He sighs, "Come on, we have to hurry". He brushes past me, but I catch up beside him.

"So, what do you feed them?" I ask trying to change the subject. Before he can answer, a man calls from a distance.

"Is that you, fat joey?"

I could see the dread on his face, he whispers to me "it's Simon"