Chapter 20 Scot-Free

Later that day....

Negan's POV:

A sudden gush of pain jolts through my body. My arms losing tension and my legs beginning to go weak. He will not get the best of me! Bruised and winded, with a leg in agony, I deliver a swift punch to Paul's face.

He groans as he falls backward, getting a taste of dirt. I stand over his wounded body as confident as ever, "This is what happens when you try to go against your superior!" I kick him in the stomach, making him cough up blood.

"This shit is fuc-" he grabs my foot and pulls me to the ground.

My head pounds through my ears, and before I could blink, a fist charges at my face snapping my nose. I struggle under his punches until a loud bang travels through the air of Alexandria.

The weight on me instantly lifts, and he is sent flying, blood scattering along the path.

The shadow of a gun appears over me, specifically a Colt M4A1, "You still alive down there?" Simon extends his hand, pulling me to my feet. "Any word from back home?"

"Yeah, everything is under control, they haven't made it that far" he hands me his handkerchief after noticing the pouring blood from my face.

Y/N's POV:

I feel the need to move almost without end, if my limbs are moving my anxiety is gone, or at least easier to ignore.

I feel selfish being protected and safe in the Sanctuary while most everyone else is on the battlefield.

The only other people left behind, being a small group of Saviors to defend the home front and whoever wasn't deemed useful in combat.

Hanging out on the rooftop is now my getaway. Up here it's like looking down at the world. You can see the trees, the flowers, and the walkers. It's somewhat calming, but my mind still finds a way to torment me with images of Alexandria engulfed in flames.

The new life I had built for myself flashes before my eyes. I pause trying to hold back the strange feelings inside me, but I can't , a lone tear traces down my cheek as the wind blows through my hair.

"Ya alright?" an unknown voice speaks behind me, causing me to flinch. I turn around to see a brunette man standing about 6'1.

"I'm fine" I look away not wanting him to see me in such a vulnerable state.

"We just got the message that Negan is safe"

A grin of relief forms on my face but quickly falls, as I remind myself that he is never safe, no one is.

Negan's POV:

Terror could be heard coming from outside the tall walls that stood high defiantly in the face of the vicious attack.
It's only a matter of time until they surrender, being that their leader is dead.

"How's it going out there?" I call with my walkie-talkie.

"The battle is nearly won" Simon responds, as one of the Alexandrians bandages up my nose. The standoff was short, a tactical advantage to our side, almost no casualties.

"When this is over, I want you and your people out!" Rick approaches from behind giving me that annoying side-eye he always does.

"Is that any way to thank someone who just saved your goddamn life" we stand face-to-face.
"What do you honestly expect after what you've done to us" he backs off retreating to his home.
"You know what's funny, Rick? You haven't once asked me about y/n since I've been here"

"I don't know who that person is" he shuts the door behind him without so much as glancing back.

Y/N's POV:

There is tenseness to my muscles that makes me more like a mannequin on this soft mattress than a woman of flesh and bone.

I start to regret taking the man's advice, I stare at the ceiling, my brain trying to organize the chaos in my life. I want to sleep to forget that everything is falling apart but not even the double vodka I downed can do that.

Negan's POV:

By the time we return home, it is the crack of dawn, night had come and gone. The golden light softly creases the land and ignites the birds into a chorus of melodies.

I step out the truck, victoriously thrusting Lucile into the air, causing the guards on watch duty to cheer.

The battle is over, and the Sanctuary got off scot-free. "To congratulate all of you for a job well done, everyone eats free today!" the crowd roars as they pat each other on the back.

The energy traveled through me like electricity but there was only one thing that was on my mind. I push my way through the mass of people in search of her.

"Negan!" a feminine voice calls, I feel her warm body jump into my arms, stealing my breath.

Y/N's POV

I feel his firm torso and the heart that beats within. His hands fold around my back drawing me closer in.

My body shakes, crying to release the tension bottled up inside.

He pulls his head back and wipes my tears with a calloused finger. Eating me with his eyes, he then runs a hand through my hair as if he can't believe that I'm not a part of an almost forgotten dream.

When he kisses me its sweet, gentle and taste of my tears. I want to speak but all I can do is croak, "Don't go, not again"
His mouth paints a soft smile, and he nods before holding me in his arms again.