Chapter 24 Protection

Later that evening I'm sprawled across the couch reading a JK Rowling novel. A gentle knock on the door takes me out of my fantasy world.

"Coming" I pick myself up, carrying my heavy body across the room. I open the door to the little girl from earlier and a woman who I can assume is her mother.

She seems nervous and unsure of herself while the child stares with a flash of excitement in her eyes.

"I'm Chloe's mom" she gestures towards the girl. "We came to apologize for going over our-" I stop her and step into the hallway, "Don't worry about it, Negan's cool with it" I lie, Negan would never approve of this whole situation, Lord only knows how he would react.

"See mommy! She told me I could" she jumps up and down tugging on the woman's arm.

She quickly hushes the child, "Thank you, you don't have to worry about her anymore" She smiles, and I smile back.

"No thanks needed, everyone can use help sometimes"

She nods and walks away dragging Chloe along with her.

"Bye, Negan's wife!" she waves back to me.
It takes me off guard to hear someone to refer to me that way.

I return to Negan's side, deciding to wake him up, I straddle his torso as his snores hit me in the face.

"Come on, time to get up" I lightly slap him, "Don't you have things to do?" I bounce causing the bed to squeak.

"I'm fucking up, okay!" he abruptly lifts his upper body, I go flying off the bed and hit the floor straight on my ass.

"What the hell Negan" I stand up, rubbing my backside.

He looks at me with a small grin, "Lost your balance?"

I shot him a sarcastic smile and sit next to him, "Did you think about it?"

His eyes squint confusingly "huh?"

"Letting children get food without points, remember?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, cause I never said a goddamn thing about that!" He snaps suddenly irritated.

It surprises me how negatively he responds to this, I figure I should dead the issue, "Are you mad I woke you up?"

"Nope, your right, shit has to get done around here and I can't count on my wife to do anything" He picks up Lucile and slams the door behind him making the walls vibrate.

Did I really piss him off that much? This is the first time he has ever talked to me like that in a long time. I know I woke him out of this precious beauty sleep, but he doesn't have to be so bitchy about it.

Anger boils inside me, usually, this wouldn't be enough to get to me but as of lately my emotions have been all over the place and I haven't been feeling like myself.

I wanted to wait this out but it doesn't seem to be getting better, it's definitely time to see Dr. Carson. I've always hated doctor's offices but something might be wrong.

~

He has the posture of a soldier every action he takes is precise and with purpose. He smiles in the cold and distant way many people around here do.

Through the examination, he gives commands rather than a request. I didn't tell him what exactly I had been feeling, instead saying that Negan wanted me to get a checkup.

When the prodding was over I drop my eyes to the floor anticipating his diagnosis, "Everything seems to be fine".

"Are you sure? Lately, I've been feeling really weird".

He pulls up a chair and sits in front of me, "I'm gonna need more details if you want me to help you"

"Just fatigue and mood swings..... and a missed period"

His eyes widen, "Do you and Negan use protection?"

My heart begins to beat against my chest and blood races through my veins. My hand stretch over the warm lien, "We use the pull out method, most of the time"

I know what he is alluding to and I can't believe it could be true, I know we've been reckless the last few weeks but I assumed that my lack of a period was due to stress.

"I don't have the resources to give you a blood test but I have a few at-home ones" he searches through the drawer in the back of the room until he returns with three pregnancy digital sticks.

I hesitate to take them, fearing the worst case scenario.
Instead of waiting for me, he puts the tests in my hand and helps me out of the chair.

There is a bathroom attached to the office that I used to take the tests. After I pee on the sticks I walk out with them turned over, so I couldn't see the results.

"What does it say?" he asks in a quiet tone.

"I don't know" I give them to him and crawls back on the recliner. He examines them then slowly lifts his head, "You're Pregnant"

 He examines them then slowly lifts his head, "You're Pregnant"