Chapter 23 Rules Are Rules

"Dwight has been really pushin' it lately," Negan says as we walk back to the room.
"If his attitude doesn't change he may have a meeting with Lucile" he opens the door, "Ladies first"

I walk in, taking off my shoes before getting into bed.

"I think he's just jealous" I suggest flirtatiously laying over the covers.

"Well everyone is jealous of me" he follows behind me, cuddling my waist. We both share a laugh at his comment, his chest rising and falling against my back, our breaths in unison, feeling his warm blood in our embrace drives my lust for him deeper.

"Honestly, it's because you have me," I say.

He chuckles and nuzzles my neck with delicate kisses so faint they are like whispers with his hand angled slightly to the side peaking over my shoulder, he leans in and pushes his lips on to mines.

He pulls away, "I'm gonna take care of that fucker for good" he kisses my cheek before turning over to his side of the bed.

Clouds dominate the afternoon sky leaving patches of blue

Clouds dominate the afternoon sky leaving patches of blue. Though they are mostly white there is a hint of greyness, a warning of upcoming rain.

I leave to get lunch leaving Negan to rest. The cafeteria is full, as I step in line awaiting my turn.

"Why are you in line?" I hear a small voice say from behind me. I turn around to see a little redheaded girl, she wore a sweat-stained polka dot shirt and a skirt, her bare legs were ashy and pale.

I bend down to her level with a smile on my face, "Everyone has to stand in line sweetheart, it's important to be polite" she smiles back, "but what about Mr.Negan?"

I sigh realizing that he's an obvious contradiction.

"He's different, he takes care of us, so he gets to eat first"

"but-"

Before she could ask any more questions I usher her in front, "What do you want, honey" her once smiling energetic face becomes sad and bland.

"Mommy said I only have enough points for one thing" she picks up a banana as she is about to walk away, I stop her, "What else do you want?"

She looks back at me confused, "Negan and I are friends, I'm sure he won't mind if you get a little extra" I whisper hoping that no one would overhear.

The joy returns to her face, and she runs to the table grabbing a few pre-made sandwiches and another banana.

The point-keeper glances at me skeptically, probably wondering if Negan would authorize me to make these types of calls, but she doesn't challenge it.

I quickly pick up my lunch, consisting of chicken, celery, lettuce, and tomatoes to make a simple salad.

By the time I had all my items in hand, the girl had run off.

~

I brought the food back to my room wanting to eat in privacy without the judgmental gaze of the less fortunate.

I sit on the edge of the bed devouring the salad as Negan is still asleep.

The interaction with the little girl causes me to rethink my role in the Sanctuary. It makes me want to be more involved and helpful in the community, I don't want people to view me as someone who's only purpose is to be Negan's fucktoy.

When I'm done eating I put the dirty bowl on the nightstand and crawl into bed, cuddling up to him from behind.

I place my head over his shoulder making him stir, "I'm guessing you're not gonna let me sleep"

"I need to talk to you about something" I pout

"We have to do this now?" his voice tired and grouchy. I decide not to beat around the bush. "You should let children eat without points"
He moans in annoyance "Rules are rules"

"I know but-" his obnoxious snores cut me off, he's back in dreamland.