Chapter 1: My Two Saviors

Disclaimer: I do not own the X-Men I only claim ownership of Tara.

"words"means thoughts

-----

I curled by myself in the corner wincing as I tried to get over the new wound inflicted on me by my father. He thinks I did this to myself. I didn't! I didn't ask for it either but he believes I am a liar. I moved my chain in a weak attempt. I was so hungry. I could hear my father thinking how he was going to convince mother not to feed me. It wouldn't be that hard for father to either. It wasn't like I was allowed much food anyway. All of a sudden though the doorbell rang. I picked my head up. Who could be calling now?

-----

I got out of the car with Erik surveying the house in front of us. It was a two story house. The wood paneling was a light blue and it has yellow shutters on the windows. There was a fairly nice sized garden out front and it was covered in bright and beautiful flowers. It was on the smallish side for a two story house but it seemed very...homey.  As I was about to walk to the door something stopped me.

"Help me"

I stopped dead in my tracks making Erik bump into me. What was that? Who was that?

"Something wrong Charles?"  I heard Erik ask.

"Please try not to kill them Erik." I said dazed, as if I had no control over my actions.

This voice sounded so lost to me. It sounded like a little girl...a scared little girl. Erik looked to me in confusion but nodded anyway. We walked up the steps and I rang the doorbell. A stoutly woman came to the door along with a man who was fairly young but going slightly bald. These two were Mr. and Mrs. Johnson or Skip and Clara.

"Are you the two who wanted to rent the guest rooms?" Clara asked with a sweet voice.

"Yes we are Mrs. Johnson. I am Charles Xavier and this is my friend Erik Lensharr." I said with a smile. Sure we weren't really here for any guest rooms and only here to talk to the mutant that lived here but what was one white lie. Besides I didn't get a good read with this mutant so that brought concern as well.

They invited us in and showed us upstairs towards the guestrooms. As we were walking I heard it again.

"Please help me..." The little girl!

I stopped again in shock and turned to where I could feel the mind signature was coming from. This must be the one I had seen in Cerebro but all I was looking at was a bookcase.

"Something must be wrong Charles, what is it?" Erik asked walking towards me.

I pointed to the bookcase and looked to the couple.

"Someone is in there." I said as they looked at me in fear. "Don't try and lie. I'll know."

They gasped and Clara looked at me in shock and fear while Skip looked at me in disgust. Ugly thoughts ran through his mind but I did not care to pay attention.

"Erik if you will-" but I was interrupted when he made the bookcase fly out along with a metal door. There was a secret room. "Thank you" I said and walked in but stopped in shock. Erik came in with me and instantly he snapped.

"What  the hell!" he shouted to the parents of the small child before me. She was chained to a wall, in a windowless room, backed in a corner and looking at me in fear. "My God" I said softly looking into her eyes, only for her to turn away and hold herself.

The room was what you could hardly call a room. The only things in it were a broken light, the chain, and the girl. There were absolutely no windows and it was all painted black. There was no closet and no other door. The girl though was what both saddened and angered me, especially since this was her so called living space, her "room".

She was wearing a black tank top that did nothing to hide the bruises and scars covering her. She was also wearing grey sweatpants that barely held onto her. She was so skinny. She was like Raven but so different.

Her skin which probably was once bright hot pink now was slightly dull from being locked up for so long as I regretfully just discovered.  With the hot pink was a darker pink design of swirls that ran along her body. Her hair was like her skin but the exact opposite. It was dark pink with hot pink streaks. For probably never having a hair cut, it was matted and tangled and went down to her waist. Her sapphire blue eyes were looking to us in absolute fear...and hope. The girl was very tiny for her age and skinny in a very unhealthy way but not by choice. She had pointed ears and from her first sight of us I knew she had fangs. That didn't matter at the moment. Her mind was in turmoil and I had to calm her down.

"Hello." I said softly to her, inching closer. She backed away from me.

"It's okay, You don't have to be afraid of me Tara" I said to her softly as she looked at me wide-eyed.

-----

"It's okay, You don't have to be afraid of me Tara." I looked at the man in awe.

"You're like me." I said in a shaky voice. I couldn't believe it! There was someone like me and he had the same power as me! Please oh please let this be real. The man only smiled. The man next to the man in my mind was glaring at my mother and father.

"My name is Charles Xavier, Tara" the kind man said to me with the smile still on his face. ..."and this is my friend Erik Lensharr." He said pointing towards the man.

"Is he like us too?" I asked. I would like it if there were more.

"Yes he is. Just like us and so many more out there." I swung my head as he said this.

"There's more?...I-I'm not alone?" I said to him inching forward and finally saying my thought. Please don't let this be a dream!

"You will never be alone again Tara. This isn't a dream." He said with a small smile.  I had to smile back and I knew tears were in my eyes but I couldn't help it.

I went to run over to him but my foot got stuck on the chain and I fell to the ground. Mr. Charles ran over to me to help me! No one has ever done that before. Well maybe someone would have if they knew I was here. Mr. Erik pointed his hand to the chain and it broke. Mr. Charles picked me up and stood up. He turned to my parents.

"sleep" he said. All of a sudden my parents collapsed to the ground.

"wow..." I said looking to Mr. Charles. Mr. Erik came over and I looked to him. He was just staring at me but he wasn't scary or at least to me.

"Hi..." I said softly. He gave a small smile and pat my head, ignoring my flinch. Then the two began walking, me still in Mr. Charles arms, out of the awful room and out of the house.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked looking to my two saviors.

"Some place that is safe. Go to sleep." Mr. Charles said and soon I saw black.