Chapter 5: Something's Wrong

Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership of X-Men I only claim ownership of Tara.

-----
When I woke the next morning I could hear someone working in the rec room from the night before. i got up clutching my teddy wondering why they were working so early. The clock read 7:20 in the morning.

Curious, i got up from my very comfortable bed and left my room in search of some answers. When i got to the rec room I saw men working on putting a new window in the room. I was watching from the doorway. The man, Agent Black was also there. I remember seeing Mr. Charles talking to him yesterday.

I walked over to him and tugged on his coat. Startled, he looked down to me. "Oh, hello Tara! Did you have a good night sleep?" he asked me. i smiled and nodded.

"Thank you for letting us stay here Mr. Agent. I'm sorry for all the mess we made." i said looking down, clutching my teddy bear still.

"It's okay. Kids will be kids i suppose." he said shrugging. Then i heard a choked scream.

"What the hell?!" a man yelled. I turned and saw he was looking directly at me. i looked to the ground.

"Hey! Don't stay stuff around a kid!" Agent Black said angrily.

"More like a freak..." I heard one mutter. I looked to the ground, tears in my eyes, but they didn't fall.

"Hey! Go outside." Agent Black ordered to the man who made the comment. He glared at me but did go outside without another comment. Agent Black put a hand on my shoulder but i flinched away.

"I'm sorry about them Tara." he said looking down to me. i nodded. "It's okay. I know I'm different." i said. It was silent for a minute. "I think I'm going to go and find Raven." i said before walking out of the room.

 I made my way back to my room but went to the door next to it and knocked. From Mr. Charles thoughts last night I knew this was her room. In a minute the door opened to a sleepy Raven.

"Hi Raven." i said looking up to her. She chuckled. "Morning Tara. What are you doing up so early?" she asked. "Noises woke me up. There were mean people though." i said looking to my teddy.

"Can't anyone give her a break?" Raven thought. "Oh, don't mind those jerks Tara. Come on in." she said letting me into her room. "Maybe i can ask her about last night later. She doesn't need those questions now." i heard her think. I was instantly grateful. i ran over and sat down on her bed and she sat down next to me.

"There will always be jerks Tara but if you ever need someone to talk to,you have me ok?" she said. i smiled and nodded, hugging her. She laughed and hugged me back.

"Now why don't we both get dressed. i think i have a few more clothes that are to small for me." she said, getting up and looking through her suitcase.

I watched her take some stuff out. "I don't have another shirt." she muttered. "Can't i wear the one i'm wearing?" i asked. She turned to me and smiled.

"Where did you get that anyway?" she asked. "Mr. Erik." i told her. She laughed and shook her head. "Sure you can wear that too." she said. Then she gave me another pair of jeans that were a little bit to big but i could wear them. And she gave me tennis shoes to wear too.

After I put the clothes on she helped me brush my long hair.

"You have such pretty hair." Raven said to me. i looked to her in disbelief. "Really?" i asked. "Well of course! Why wouldn't you think you were pretty?" Raven asked. I just looked to the ground.

"Come on. Why don't we go find the others?" she suggested. I nodded and we walked to a new rec room where the others were already waiting.

"Hi guys!" Raven said as we walked in. "Hey girls." Darwin said while eating breakfast.

"Agent McTaggert made sure they brought us food before they left." Angel explained as we sat down.

"We're all suppose to stay here though." Hank said. "As part of our punishment." he finished.

"I don't know why Tara has to stay. She didn't do anything wrong." Sean said. "She's to young for this right now." Alex said.

"I'd rather stay with you guys." i said. I still had my teddy bear with me so that was in one hand and my other arm was around Raven's.

"Tara can you go over to my books and get my Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde copy?" Hank asked. I immediately tensed up and looked to the pile of books wide-eyed.

H-How was I suppose to do that? I let go of Raven and just held onto my teddy. I didn't look up at any of them. "Tara what's wrong?" Raven asked.

I could feel all of them looking at me. "I-I can't find your book." i said not looking up.

"Tara...do you know how to read?" Raven asked. I didn't want to answer that question but i knew I would have too. I smiply shook my head.

"No one ever wanted to teach me." i said. "I remember somethings from looking into the minds of people passing by." I finished looking up to them. Raven put a hand on my shoulder.

I heard Hank get up and sit next to me.

"Why don't we teach you?" he asked. I looked to him in shock. "What?" i asked.

"Yeah, we can teach you to read, and write!" Raven said in excitement. I just looked to them and smiled. "Thank you." i said.

We worked for hours and i was really getting it! By nightfall i knew a lot! I could read some stuff and write a lot of stuff including my name!!!

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I yelled, hugging Hank tightly.

He laughed and hugged me back lightly. "This is really good Tara." Darwin said looking at the papers of my writing attempts. I smiled wide, proud of myself.

I don't remember ever being proud of myself before I met these guys.

Then things got bad.

"Oh I didn't know the circus was in town!" an agent said. We all turned to the window and saw two agents there mocking us.

"Hey do a little." the other guy began before flapping his arms, mocking Angel.

"Come on pinkie do something!" The first guy said. Raven pulled me closer to her. Then Hank got up.

"The foot! Come on lets see the foot!" They said but were quickly silenced once Hank pulled the curtain for the window. Raven looked to the angered Angel.

"They're just guys being stupid." she said and Angel scoffed.

"Guys being stupid i can handle. I've handled them my whole life. But I'd rather have the look of guys with my clothes off then the way these guys stare at me." she said.

"At us." Raven corrected but Angel only rolled her eyes. I buried my head into my teddy bear and moved closer to Raven.

"I don't like them." i muttered. "It's gonna be ok Tara." Sean said. i looked to them and nodded before nuzzling back into my bear.

Then it got worse.

THUNK!

We all looked up as we heard that.

THUNK! THUNK!

"What the heck's going on out there?" Darwin said. Hank opened the curtains of the window and we all walked closer to look outside. I had my bear clutched tightly.

"Something's wrong!" i said holding onto Raven even tighter. They looked to me but i was afraid. I could...I could hear them!

"Time to get rid of fatty." A man thought but he wasn't American.

"Something's wrong!" i shouted holding onto her tighter. Then a man appeared in the sky with Agent Black next to him. The man disappeared and Agent Black began to drop.

"Raven!" Hank said and she turned me away but i still heard Agent Black crash to the ground causing me to scream. Then i heard some scary words.

"Find the mutants..."