Chapter 19: Aftermath

Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership of X-Men; i only claim ownership of Tara.

Yeah my mom wouldn't let me finish the epilogue last night but i have now!!!! Plus i realized this isn't an epilogue so after this chapter than the epilogue will come about.

-----

When i woke up i could tell from the sounds and smells and soon the sights that i was in a hospital. Groaning i rubbed my head. Due to the fight i had a massive headache.

Whatever medication they have it must be god. They fixed my legs and i still can't feel them. How bad were they that they had to pump me full of meds? Wait-Where were the children! I shot up only for Darwin to put me back down.

"Easy Professor." he said to me. I sighed and lied back down. I saw Sean and Alex in the room too. Along with Moira but...where were Tara and Hank?

"Hank and Tara are in another part of the hospital. This place said they would help only if Hank and Tara couldn't be seen by the public eye." Alex said, sensing what i was asking, and none to happy about the situation.

"Well we better go to them." i said beginning to sit up again but Sean pushed me back down. "What is wrong with all of you?" I asked in concern.

"Don't you already know?" Sean asked. He sounded sad.

"Know what?" I asked. They all looked extremely guilty. They all thought of the bullet that went into my spine. The most painful part was when Erik had pulled it out of my back.

Then it hit me. I don't know why it didn't before. At that moment i wanted to curl up in a ball like a child. Medicine wasn't the reason why i couldn't feel my legs.

"We're so sorry Charles." Darwin said. I gave them a pathetic smile. "It wasn't your fault. I'm thankful that i didn't lose my life. Things will get better." i said. This time when i sat up they didn't try to push me back down.

"Hank is going to design a wheelchair. Once Tara wakes up he can make it by the time you leave." Alex said. A couple of words caught my attention.

"Wake up? Whats wrong with Tara?" i asked. "The wound was pretty bad. Hank said that the uniform protected her inner organs and bones. She had pretty nasty burns and they will scar but she will be fine. She is going to have to wear button down shirts though. Hank said it was better because they didn't cling to you like t-shirts do. She passed out though because of all the stress after and hasn't woken up yet." Darwin explained. I saw Alex clench his fists.

"Hank said that it was to help her recover faster." Sean said. "I just want her to wake up so we can see if she's ok." Sean finished. I started getting up more. "What are you doing?" Darwin asked.

"Get a wheelchair, i'm getting out of here." i said, moving the blankets and began to move one of my legs by myself.

"I don't think that's how it works." Sean said, but he was getting the wheelchair anyway. Moira had gone to get the doctor. Darwin and Alex had gotten me into the hospital wheelchair by the time she had come back with the doctor.

"Now Mr. Xavier what are you doing?" the doctor asked. "I'm going to find Tara." I said and Darwin started pushing the wheelchair. "Ah yes, the pink one i presume." he said blandly but i could hear the disgust in his thoughts. I glared.

"Listen here and listen good. Keep your vulgar thoughts to yourself. Now get out of my way i want to see my daughter!" I shouted shocking everyone including myself. Daughter...I had called Tara my daughter. That didn't sound so bad though.

That shocked the doctor enough to let us through. He led us to a near deserted hallway. That only made me angry, they just threw her in the back and forgot her! When we got to the room, the doctor left us as Hank stood up.

"Professor." Hank said. "It's ok Hank." i said, knowing he would try and apologize. He nodded and looked to Tara as i did.

She was now clean but still asleep. She was lying on her side on the bed and had bandages covering her torso. She didn't have a shirt on though which i didn't like so much. I could see she had sweatpants on. A foot away was a chair and on it were the remains of her uniform.

I got Darwin to push me over, closer to Tara and i took her unmoving hand.She was breathing easily and sleeping like she would back at the mansion so that eased me a little bit more.

I put my index and middle finger to my temple and tried to get into her mind. It was quite easy and i found myself in her mind.

In this mindscae i wasn't in the wheelchair, i was walking easily. I was on the beach again. I looked around. None of the wreckage was there. No one was there, no one but Tara.

I walked over to her. She was sitting down, facing the water. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and she had her arms around them. She still had her uniform on. She wasn't moving, or blinking, or breathing though. She acted as if she was a statue.

"Tara?" i asked. She didn't move. "Mr. Charles?" i heard in my head. I smiled.

"What happened?" i heard her ask. "You got hurt. It's time to wake up." i said. "I know! I've tried. My mind won't wake up." she explained. "I'm scared, i really want to wake up." she said, whimpering.

"I know dear. Just follow the sound of my voice. I'm going to count backwards from ten. Okay?"  i told her. "Ok..." she said. "Ten...Nine...Eight..." i began putting my index and middle finger back to my head. "Seven...Six...Five...Four...Three...Two..." I said. "One" We both said at the same time. Mind Tara took a breath and instantly we were out of Tara's mind.

I opened my eyes at the same time as Tara. She smiled sleepily but she seemed sad when she saw me in the wheelchair.

"Hi Mr. Charles." she said sleepily.

"Welcome back Tara..." i said stroking her head.

Ok guys! Epilogue is next!