Chapter 16: The Last Night

Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership of X-Men; i only claim ownership of Tara.

-----

I wasn't able to concentrate the entire day and by night time i was really tired. If i had any idea of what i would dream of that night i would have never tried to fall asleep.

I moaned as i clenched my fist. I could feel sand between my fingers. I was wearing my gloves, i could feel the leather. Something wet was on my head. I remember that feeling. That's what it felt like when my head was bleeding.

My entire body ached. I could feel a breeze in the air. It smelled like salt water. Was i on a beach? Why was i on a beach? Where was my family? Were they okay?

I could smell smoke to. Was something on fire? Why did my shoulder hurt so bad? It felt like it was on fire but i felt no flames. I could smell...acid? I remember Angel's acid spit. Did she do this to me?

I slowly curled my body up wanting to see where the heck i was. I slowly lifted my head up and gasped.

All around me where bodies. All of them were bloody, beaten...and d-dead!

"No!" I groaned, tears filling my eyes. I slowly started moving towards them. "NO!" I screamed trying to stand up and go to them. All of a sudden a foot slammed on my back and i screamed falling to the ground in pain. I tried to reach out my hand and i was able to brush my fingers against Raven's.

She was so cold.

All of a sudden something wrapped around my neck. It was a tail. Azazel! Slowly i was lifted into the air. He was choking me. I tired to struggle and get his tail off me but he just got tighter and tighter.

Somebody help me! Please somebody help me!!!!!!

-----

I sat across from Erik as we watched the chess board, neither one of us playing.

"Cuba, Russia, America. Makes no difference. Shaw's declared war on mankind. On all of us. He has to be stopped." i told him. He resisted the urge to role his eyes at me.

"I'm not gonna stop Shaw. I'm gonna kill him. Do you have it in you to allow that?" Erik asked. I didn't answer. I couldn't.

"You've known all along why i was here, Charles.  But things have changed. What started as a covert mission, tomorrow mankind will know that mutants exist. Shaw, us they won't differentiate. They'll fear us. That fear will turn to hatred."  Erik explained.

"Not if we prevent a war. Not if we stop Shaw. Not if we risk our lives doing so." I said.

"Will they do the same for us?" he asked.

"We have it in us to be the better man." i told him. Didn't he get it? "We already are!" he said, his gaze fierce.

"We're the next stage of evolution. You said it yourself." he finished.

"Not in that way." I said.

"Are you so naive, as to think they won't battle for their own extinction? Or is it arrogance?" he asked."I'm sorry?" i asked. i was confused.

"After tomorrow, they're gonna turn on us. But you're blind to it, you believe they are all like Moira." he said. "You believe they're all like Shaw." i told him.

"And yet even Moira can't look at Tara." Erik said. I looked to him sharply.

"Listen to me very carefully my friend. Killing Shaw will not bring you peace." i told him, pleading with him.

"Peace was never an option." he said evenly. Then it happened.

SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!

"Tara!" i said running out of the room. Erik was following behind me. I ran to Tara's room. She was having a nightmare.

-----

As i was lifted in the air i was turned and came face to face with Shaw. He was wearing that stupid helmet and his eyes were blood red.

"We are the children of the atom Tara. But them even some children are weak."  he spatted. He gave Azazel a look and he started choking me tighter. He then made another ball of energy. I started struggling more but i kept getting weaker.

"Goodbye Freak." he said, beginning to put the ball in my mouth.

All of a sudden Riptide pushed him over and looked to me. "Tara wake up." he demanded. "TARA WAKE UP!"he yelled.

I shot out of sleep screaming my head off. Two pairs of arms wrapped around me. "It's okay Tara. You're safe. It's okay." Mr. Charles murmured rocking me back and forth.

"You're safe." he murmured.

"You promise?" i said panting, tears running down my face.

"Always. Always Tara." Mr. Erik said patting my head.

I sniffed, burying my head into Mr. Charles chest. I could still feel Azazel's tail around my neck.

What was going to happen tomorrow?