Chapter 4

A knock sounded at the door. Queenie gave a little bounce of excitement and dashed to answer it, leaving Newt and Tina alone in the kitchen. Queenie's bright voice could be heard welcoming Jacob into their home. 

      Tina looked at Newt, while his  gaze flitted all over the room to anywhere to but her. "Do you wanna take your coat off, Newt?", she offered, "It's quite warm in here." She had gotten of her coat as soon as she'd stepped over the threshold, and was now only wearing her white blouse and golden locket on the top half of her body. 

       Newt seemed startled at being addressed by the witch standing directly across from him. "Oh, yes. Alright."

       As he began to shrug off his peacock blue coat, a series of indignant squeals erupted from the breast pocket. A bowtruckle stuck his head out from beneath the lapel and chittered angrily at Newt. 

       Tina laughed softly as Pickett clambered out of the pocket and onto Newt's arm, glaring at him arrogantly with his hand placed on his hip. Newt raised his eyebrows at the bowtruckle. "Come on now, Pickett. Don't give me that." 

       Pickett's response was to blow a raspberry at Newt. "Pickett..." Newt reprimanded with raised eyebrows and an exasperated yet fond expression on his face. This was greeted by another loud raspberry, followed by more chittering. The Magizoologist sighed, and perched Pickett onto his shoulder. "Honestly, Pickett, you have such an attitude, sometimes I'm tempted to put you in the tree with the others and leave you there."

       Meanwhile, Tina who had draped Newt's coat over the coat hanger,  was secretly admiring the bond between Newt and his creatures. He didn't seem to do as well with humans, though. She found that this was a similarity between her and Newt. Both were somewhat socially awkward.

       Queenie's and Jacob's voices were growing louder as they entered the kitchen, side by side. Jacob's eyes widened and his jaw dropped as he saw Newt. After a moment of shocked silence, he boomed ecstatically. "Newt! I didn't know you were here!"

       He then thought for a moment, then shrugged. "Ah, what does it matter? It's great to see you again, pal!", he clapped Newt on the back, "You should've come sooner." He then turned to Queenie and mock-glared at her. "Why didn't you tell me he'd be here?"

       Queenie giggled and teased, "If I did, then it would have taken all the fun out!".

       "You know, Queenie, it's not very nice to keep secrets," said Jacob, laughing.

       Newt focused his gaze on his shoes, feeling very awkward to be in the middle of this situation. Tina, too, looked thoroughly embarrassed. Suddenly, his gaze caught hers, and he looked away hastily, a flush crawling its way up his face for a reason that was clandestine to him.

      The blonde Golstein sister stilled for a moment, then half-glared, half-lowered her gaze at Tina. "I am not flirting," she mumbled quietly. 

       Tina ignored this, and went over to the stove to check on their dinner. "Dinner's ready!", she announced, smoothly changing the topic. Grabbing her wand from a nearby countertop, she pointed it as a pantry, and levitated out four plates and glasses, followed four sets of knives and forks, all of which settled neatly onto the table. 

      Queenie had abandoned her little conversation with Jacob, and was loading their plates with food. Jacob had already sat down, and gave the air an appreciative sniff. The aroma smelled wonderful, rich and warm. Newt stood awkwardly behind his chair, feeling slightly out of place. 

       "Well, sit down, Mr.Scamander," Tina invited, smiling lightly, "We aren't going to poison you."

       Those were the exact words she had said the last time he'd been reluctant to sit down at the table. Giving a quick smile, almost unnoticeable smile, he pulled out his chair and lowered himself into his seat, feeling very welcome all of a sudden.

I know, I know, short chapter, but I'm just not feeling like updating today. Please don't kill me! I know there hasn't been a ton of Newtinaness, but it'll come don't worry. This fic's called Crescendo for a reason. Stay tuned for tomorrow's chapter, and once again, thank you for reading :)