Chapter 24

Newt was sitting at his desk in the room he was staying in for his visit, bent over his manuscript for his second edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. He'd been declared officially healed by Tina and Queenie yesterday, and had jumped at the chance to catch up on his work. 

       He looked up and gazed out the window for a moment, thinking about how he wanted to describe Wampus cats. It was snowing heavily, the white flakes drifting in a blur past his window. Newt realized that his throat was parched and dry, and he decided to get some water from the kitchen. He stood up from his chair, swiftly opened his door, and walked down the hall. 

      Rounding the doorway, he saw that Tina and Queenie were already in the kitchen, along with Jacob, who apparently, had just arrived.

       "It's snowing again," the baker informed. 

       Newt walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a glass, wanting to arrive and leave unnoticed, so that he could get back to his book as soon as possible. Unluckily for him, Tina turned around, having heard him. 

       "Newt!" she exclaimed. "So you're finally taking a break?"

       The Magizoologist filled his glass with water. "Actually, I just needed some water, so if you don't mind, I'll be heading back now," he said, sincerely hoping that he could get away. He edged toward the doorframe, but was halted by Tina.

       "Oh, come on, Newt," Tina sighed. "You've been at your desk for hours. Stay out here for a while."

       "No, I really must get back to my manuscript, I need to catch up on some work that I've missed..."

       A hard look from Tina made the rest of his sentence trail off feebly.

       "Fine," Newt gave in. "I'll stay for a while."

       "Good for you, Newt!" Jacob said.

       Tina, looking satisfied, went over to the window and looked out. "You're right," she said to Jacob. "It's snowing hard out there."

       Newt noticed that Queenie had a devious grin on her face. Oh no...

       "Let's have a snowball fight!" Queenie proposed excitedly.

       Jacob, as usual, agreed eagerly. Newt turned toward Tina, about to tell her to pull them out of this ridiculous situation. To his immense surprise, she had a thoughtful expression on her face, and her arms were crossed, as if she were seriously thinking about Queenie's suggestion.

       "You know," Tina said slowly. "I think that might actually be a good idea!"

       Queenie cheered, and Newt gaped at the brunette.

       "I definitely do not think that is a good idea," Newt said abruptly.

       "Oh come on, Newt! We can all get out, it'll be fun," Jacob persuaded.

      Newt coughed pointedly. "As adults, I don't think we're supposed to have fun. And besides," he added, "I really do need to work on my manuscript for my new book."

       Tina cast a withering glare at him. "You've been stuck inside that room all day, Newt. Some fresh air will do you good."

       "Yeah," Queenie agreed. "And winter is Tina's favorite season, don't you wanna do it for her?"

       Newt blushed, and tried to ignore this very direct comment. "But I don't know how snowball fights work," he mumbled.

       "What?" Jacob exclaimed, jumping up. "Are you kidding?"