Chapter 54

Tina stood up as she heard a heavy thump followed by a groan come from the direction of Newt's room. She hurried toward it, worried. "Newt, are you okay?" she called out.

       There was a series of rapid shuffling sounds, and he said hastily, "I'm fine! Don't come in!"

       Tina personally thought that Newt did not sound fine at all, and hesitated before peering around his opened door. Her eyebrows lifted when she spotted Newt sprawled on the floor. A drawer on his desk had been knocked out, and the papers and belongings were strewn haphazardly across the floor.

       Hoppy was standing innocently beside all this, and he meowed softly when he saw Tina. She sighed, not taking his act for one second. Newt had shoved himself to his feet and was now crouching on the floor, hastlily gathering up a specific pile of papers.

       "Hoppy giving you trouble?" Tina asked, amused.

       "It seems so," Newt said busily, still trying to retrieve his papers.

       "Here, let me help," she offered, bending down.

       "No!" he snapped, them drew back, looking guilty.

       Tina froze and stared at him, shocked at his sharp tone. Then she backed away, feeling as though she had overstepped her importance. She was just about to apologize when Newt cut her off.

       "I'm sorry," he said, looking abashed. "It's just – these are embarrassing..."

       Tina glanced at the papers that were clutched against his chest. She hadn't meant to pry, but a bent corner of parchment revealed her own familiar and neat handwriting, and she gasped. She would recognize her handwriting anywhere, but even more, she would recognize those words anywhere.

       They were her letters to Newt. Every single one of them. She had pored over what to say when she wrote them, wondering if she was being too friendly or familiar, and she was sure she had come on too strong. But here they were, cradled gingerly in Newt's arms.

       Newt stared at her, his eyes widening with embarrassment and anxiety. "I – um...I collected the letters from you. They were – they were nice," he finished lamely, stammering through his whole sentence.

       Tina glanced from the letters to Newt's flushed face. "I don't mind," she replied shyly, though she was still thoroughly surprised at the sight of the parchment.

       "You...you don't?" Newt asked disbelievingly.

       Tina thought that his hold on her letters loosened, and his whole frame seemed to sag with relief. He blinked nervously at her, and visibly gulped. "I really don't mind," she assured.

       In fact, on the other hand, she felt quite honored. She'd never have thought that her letters meant enough to Newt for him to keep them. Her head reeled at the thought, but she couldn't stop a thrilled grin from unfurling across her face.

       "Your letters really were quite comforting at times," Newt admitted, his ears burning. He inadvertently dropped his gaze dropped his gaze to the floor, clearing his throat shyly. "I liked them."

       Tina blushed, but she felt her heart racing with joy. "I kept your letters, too," she whispered quietly.

       Newt's eyes snapped up to meet hers, surprise shining in them. "You did?" he asked.

       "I did."

       "Oh."

       Newt looked as equally taken aback as she felt, though a smile of his own spread across his features, and it seemed to illuminate his freckles. As Tina watched him grin, the smile on her face grew brighter.