Chapter 48

Newt rolled out of bed with a groan as his alarm clock went off with a continuous, annoying ringing. He grunted and sat up, bashing his brass clock on the head, and the tinny whistling ceased. He snuffled slightly and rubbed his eyes, feeling the temptation to go back to sleep dragging at him, but he knew he needed to get his day started.

       Normally, he was always up on time, and he considered himself a morning person. Today, though, every muscle in his body groaned with tiredness, and his bed looked so warm and cozy. Yesterday had been a particularly grueling day down in the basement. He'd had to move several habitats around by magic, as the creatures were in a bad mood and were threatening to rip each other to pieces. On top of that, he'd strained his back trying to lift four sacks of feed at once, because he only wanted to make one trip.

       Newt glanced back once more toward his bed, which was rumpled and dented from age and sleep, then resolutely turned away. He scooted to the end of his bed, and swung his legs over the edge so that his toes grazed the cold hardwood floor. He yawned widely and tried to blink the sleep away from his eyes.

      A knock sounded at his door, and it was pushed aside to reveal Tina, who was already dressed and holding up a cup of steaming coffee. The dark, roasted scent wafted tantalizingly through the air and up Newt's nose.

       "Morning, sleepyhead," Tina smiled. "You're up late today."

       "No, I think you're just up early," he replied, cracking a grin at her.

       Tina laughed, as they both knew that she was the one who always got up later, sometimes even downright refusing to leave the couch and burrowing under her mass of blankets. 

       "This is for you," she said, handing him the mug of coffee. "I figured you needed it."

       "Thanks," Newt replied as he took a sip. It tasted the exact same as when he made it himself. 

       "You know how I take my coffee," he said, surprised but pleased that Tina had paid attention to his everyday routines.

       "A spoonful of sugar," she replied, smiling.

       "And you take yours black?" Newt guessed.

       "That's right, I do," she answered, also looking startled. "How did you know?"

       "Well, you like things simple," he responded. "Not that that's a bad thing."

       Newt took another sip from his cup of coffee, then stared at it for a moment. He shrugged, and chugged down the whole cup, feeling much more awake after he had gulped down the last drop.

       "Thirsty much?" Tina joked.

       "Thirsty? No. Tired? Yes," he said.

       He glanced outside his window. The weather was dull today, as it often was in the winter. There was a strong wind, and the charcoal gray clouds blotted out the weak sunshine. Where there weren't blobs of clouds, fragments of  blue-gray sky peeked mournfully out.

       "Let's take a walk," Newt suggested. 

       "What, is it raining again?" the brunette teased. 

       "No," he said, a smile playing on his lips. "I just feel like taking a walk with you. To properly wake up and all."

       "Are you telling me that a cupfull of coffee isn't enough of a jump start?" Tina asked, raising her eyebrows skeptically.