Chapter 18

"How's this?" Queenie asked.

       Tina was in her sister's bedroom, helping her get ready for her date with Jacob. Queenie turned around in a circle to display her current outfit. She was wearing a turtle neck sweater with a winter skirt. Tina watched as her sister turned back to face the mirror.

       "Teen, do you think I should wear a dress instead?"

       Tina, who despised wearing dresses even more than skirts, immediately said, "No."

       Queenie laughed a bit. "Okay, I'll take that as a yes, then."

       Tina rolled her eyes at her sister. "Really, what's the point of asking for my opinion if you're just going to do the opposite?" she mock-complained. 

       The blonde Goldstein sister walked over to her closet and threw open the door. Standing back, she scrutinized her vast variety of stylish clothes. After watching Queenie agonize over her decision for five minutes straight, Tina sighed and got up from where she was sitting on her sister's bed. Walking over to Queenie's closet, she reached in and plucked out a dress at random. 

       "There," Tina said, holding the dress out to her. "Wear that."

       Like so many of Queenie's other clothes, the dress was pink. It had long sleeves that flared out at ends, and sequins glittered around the hems and neckline. 

       "Oooh, thanks Teenie! This is perfect," Queenie squealed. 

       Tina looked the other way as Queenie changed into it. 

       "You don't have to do that," Queenie's muffled voice said. "We are sisters after all, Teen."

       "I know, it's just that people need their privacy," Tina replied, abashed.

       "Oh, come off it!" her sister said impatiently. "Okay, you can look now."

       Tina glanced up to see Queenie spinning in a circle, her dress flowing out around her. It fit her perfectly, as everything seemed to, and she looked even more beautiful than she already was.

       "You look amazing, Queenie!" Tina complimented truthfully. 

       Queenie beamed at this. "Thanks, Teen," she paused. "Do you think I should wear any jewelry?"

       Tina glanced at the clock. It was 6:50. "Well if you are, you'd better make it quick, it's nearly seven," she informed.

       Queenie went over to her dresser and pulled out an ornately decorated, polished, box from a drawer. She flipped open the catch on the lid and peered inside. "Come help me, Teen," she said, waving her over.

       Tina walked over to examine the contents of the jewelry box. All sorts of gleaming treasures sat inside, from pearl necklaces to earrings with tiny gems dangling from them. She smirked slightly to herself as she imagined what Newt's Niffler would do if it saw all this. 

       "How's this?" Queenie held up a thin golden necklace with a small jewel hanging down from the center. She put it on, and it completed the look perfectly.

       "That looks great," Tina marveled. Honestly, Queenie can make anything work. With a tiny sigh, she wished, not for the first time, that she could be a little more like her sister. 

       "Aw, Teen, don't," Queenie told her gently, patting her on the back. "You're wonderful just the way you are. It ain't gonna do any good to tell yourself otherwise."

       Tina managed a smile. "Come on," she said briskly. "Jacob'll be here any minute, you'd better get your shoes on."

       They went into the living room, and Queenie picked out a pair of glittering golden heels, and slipped them on. Just then, the doorbell rang, and Queenie hurried eagerly to answer it. 

       Jacob was standing behind it, grinning widely, but Tina thought he looked a bit nervous, which was unusual because he had been with Queenie on many dates before. Nevertheless, he extended a delicately wrapped bouquet of irises at Queenie, who accepted it gratefully. 

       "Oh, Jacob! My favorite!" Queenie exclaimed, pecking him on the cheek.

       "It was no problem," Jacob said casually, waving her thanks aside.

       Queenie turned to Tina. "Well, I think we'll get going now," she said as she hooked her arm through Jacob's and stepped outside.

       "Have a great time!" Tina called after their retreating backs. She closed the door behind them, and sighed. It felt lonely now with Queenie gone. She found herself wishing yet again that Newt was still here. She'd at least have some decent company then, and she could visit the creatures, too. 

       Tina plopped down on the couch, and decided to do a bit of reading. Spotting one of Queenie's novels lying on the coffee table, The Flap of a Cape, she picked it up and leafed through it. It seemed interesting enough, and Tina settled down comfortably and began to read it.

       She must have dozed off at some point, because she woke up to the sound of the door slamming. 

       "Teenie!" Queenie gasped. "I can't believe what's just happened!"

        Tina, startled, fell off the couch with a thud. "Mercy Lewis," she mumbled sleepily. "What happened?"

       "Jacob just asked me to marry him!" Queenie announced, her face glowing with joy.

       Tina gasped involuntarily. "What?" she exclaimed, shocked. It took a moment for the news to sink in. "Oh, Queenie, that's wonderful! Did you say yes?"

       "Of course I said yes!" Queenie replied, her voice bursting with happiness. "Oh, Teen, I'm so thrilled!"

       Tina pulled herself up from her place on the floor, and gave her sister a warm hug. "I'm really happy for you, you know that, Queenie?"

       Queenie smiled as she hugged her sister back. "I know."

       Tina pulled away, and a frown appeared suddenly on her face. "But– I don't want to burst your bubble– but– the law, it forbids you to marry a No-Maj..."

       Queenie didn't seem daunted, although a slight crease appeared between her eyebrows. "It's okay," she said, although there was a trace of uncertainty in her voice. "No one's gonna tell."

       Tina, despite how happy she was at the moment, couldn't help but feel a tiny worm of doubt in her gut, and she hoped with everything she had that her sister would be right.

*****

       Newt was sitting at his desk, revising his manuscript for the second edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them  when he spotted a tawny owl fly through his open window and come to a perch on his bed. Abandoning his manuscript, he hurried over to the owl, who had stuck its leg. Newt removed the string that tied the letter to the owl, and the letter fluttered loose. He caught it, and stroked the owl's head before stepping back to let the owl fly off.

       Newt unfurled the letter, and inside was what appeared to be an invitation written in a fancy, elaborate font.

Dear Mr. Scamander,

       You are cordially invited to attend the wedding of Queenie Goldstein and Jacob Kowalski, which will be taking place in New York, on the fifteenth of December. Please R.S.V.P. as soon as possible.

       Newt grinned widely. He would definitely attend their wedding. They were good friends, after all. His heart pounded loudly in his chest, and a shiver of pleasure crept up his spine. He would be returning to New York. He was going to see Tina again.