Chapter 44

Tina watched from the living room as Newt tapped the cupboard with his wand and descended down the stone steps. She hesitated, not sure if she was welcome to follow. Then she heard the footsteps retreat back up the stairs, and Newt poked his head of messy hair out of the cupboard.

       "Well, come on," he beckoned, waving his hand.

       Tina smiled to herself and hurried over to the cupboard, then followed Newt as he went down the steps again. A burst of sunshine exploded inside her as she thought of what he had said a few days ago, about the cupboard being their place.

       They walked down the stairs together, Tina with a skip in her step. Once they were at the bottom, the magically created world spanned out in front of her again, taking her breath away. No matter how many times she was in the basement of creatures, or even Newt's case for that matter, she was always astounded by what appeared before her eyes.

       "I thought we could just walk around," Newt said. "I've already fed everyone, so..." His voice trailed off uncertainly, and he shuffled his feet.

       Tina smiled once more, fond of this awkward and introverted Newt. "That's a great idea," she said. "Lead the way."

       Newt looked up at her, and he seemed to be surprised at her willingness, but pleased, too. His eyes brightened as he strode off through the habitats, with Tina at his side.

       "You don't have to looked so shocked, Newt," she said gently. "I'm not going to reject you."

       Newt glanced at her through unreadable green eyes. "I know," he mumbled.

       Tina thought he didn't seem all too convinced, so she summoned up her courage and reached out to take his hand in hers, looping their fingers together. "You'd better believe me when I say that, because I'm just as socially awkward as you are."

       Newt nodded, though he didn't say anything. Tina thought she could see a small, pleased smile on his lips, but she wasn't too sure. They strolled hand in hand through the basement of creatures, and the Magizoologist pointed out several new ones that made her eyes pop.

       Tina could see the Niffler's burrow up ahead, and she frowned, bemused. "I thought the Niffler lived in your case?" she asked.

       "They're interconnected," Newt explained. "The ones in my case are the creatures that need special attention, so I can keep an eye on them at all times. I also use my case for the creatures that I need to return to their natural homes, like Frank."

       Tina made a noise of understanding, while noting to herself that this was a rather useful and smart method. They ambled through the Niffler's burrow, where it was rooting through its stash of shiny goods and vainly rearranging them.

       "You'd better hide your locket," Newt warned out of the corner of his mouth, eyeing the Niffler warily.

       Tina hastily tucked her golden locket away into her blouse, and thankfully, as they walked past the Niffler, it didn't try to take it. They moved through some more habitats, and soon it became clear to her that Newt was heading toward a large, tall tree at the other end of the basement. 

       They stopped at its twisted, gnarled roots, which sank into the earth and out of sight. It's branches loomed overhead, and the leaves danced, casting flickering shadows on the ground. The trunk was thick and bore signs of other life, such as flaking bark or clawmarks from various beasts.

       "Are you afraid of heights?" Newt asked her.

       "I stood on two rooftops with you last year, what do you think that means?" Tina retorted.