Chapter 29

Dear Mum,

       I'm writing to tell you that I won't be coming home for Christmas. I have decided to spend it in New York, with Tina and Queenie. Please don't bother buying me a present. Everything here is fine. The beasts are happy. I think they can tell Christmas is coming. Queenie's and Jacob's wedding will be taking place soon, and Tina helped Queenie pick out a wedding dress yesterday. She told me the met quite the eccentric there, a batty old lady called Miss Taton. From what I can tell, she sounds a bit like you and Theseus combined. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I don't know exactly when I'll be returning home, but I'm sure it will be sometime after the New Year. Don't worry, I'm fine. Happy holidays, in advance. 

                                                                                                                                          Newt

      Newt sat back in his chair and looked over the letter. Satisfied, he rolled the parchment up into a neat scroll and tied it together with a bit of string. He gathered up his letter and headed out of his room, walking down the hall to find Tina. He tried her bedroom first, as he knew she would probably be sitting at her desk working on some Auror case or paperwork.

       Tina door was cracked open an inch, a sliver of sunlight leaking through it. Dust particles floated in the beam of light, and Newt tapped twice on the door to announce his arrival. 

       "Come in!" Tina invited. 

       Newt pushed open the door and entered the room. Tina, as he had predicted, was sitting in front of her desk, a stack of papers piled high in front of her. She had already turned around in her chair and was facing him.

       "Hi, Newt," she greeted.

       "Hello," Newt said. He held up his bound letter. "I was just wondering if there was a post office nearby. See, I've got a letter for my mum."

       "There's one not far away from here. I'll show you," Tina said, standing up from her chair.

       "Oh. No, that's all right, I don't want to distract you from your work," Newt said, indicating the stack of papers on her desk.

       Tina glanced at her papers for a second. "No, I need a break anyway. I'll come with you. Unless you'd rather go alone," she added hastily. 

       Newt shook his head quickly. "I'd like you to come," he said. "If you're sure you want to leave your work. I know how much you love your job."

       The American witch cast another glance over her shoulder at her tottering pile of work. "The whole Auror thing takes its toll," Tina sighed. "I need some fresh air, anyhow."

       The thought of her accompanying him on the trip to the post office made something in Newt's chest flutter rapidly. "In that case, I'll be quite happy to go with you," he mumured.

       Tina blushed, and Newt's eyes stretched wide as he realized he'd spoken his thoughts aloud. Flustered, he raked his hand through his hair, mentally search for something to amend his comment. 

       Before he could say anything, though, Tina seemed to find her voice. 

       "Me, too," she said quietly, avoiding his gaze.

       "Well, er–" Newt stammered, feeling a heat creep deviously up his neck, "–shall we get going, then?"

       "Of course," Tina replied. "Let me just grab my coat, and then we can go."