Chapter 57

Newt looked up from where he was resting in an armchair as the front door was violently flung open to reveal a fuming Tina. She stumped into the apartment, slamming the door shut after her. Muttering mutinously under her breath, she moodily snatched her gum-drop shaped hat off her head, and hung it on the coat rack, along with her dark gray overcoat.

       Newt watched, torn between concern and amusement and she stormed over to the couch and flopped onto it with a groan. "Bad day at work, I take it?" he asked.

       Tina sighed and vigorously punched a pillow into a more comfortable shape. "Mhmm," she muttered.

       Newt got out of his chair and went over to sit beside her on the couch. "Tell me about it," he encouraged.

       Tina needed no further urging. "That idiot Davids at work said that the only reason why I'm an Auror is because Theseus is your brother!" she burst out.

       "Rubbish," Newt snorted. "You're an Auror because you've earned it."

       "He thinks that just because I'm in a relationship with the Head of the Department's brother means that I get a free ride!" she excalimed. "As if I hadn't spent years at MACUSA as an Auror!"

       Newt smiled slightly as he watched Tina rage heatedly against her coworker. Her face was heated and her eyes bright, and he found this rather adorable, though he would never admit it.

       "Ignore Davids," Newt soothed. "He has no idea what he's talking about. Theseus wouldn't just let someone onto his team purely based off of that."

       "I don't need to be patronized," she snapped. Then she recoiled guiltily. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it like that."

       "That's all right," he said. "But you're right. I needn't patronize you. You're independent, level-headed, and strong. You don't need help from me."

       Despite her cranky mood, Newt thought he saw a grin flit across Tina's face for a second. She shoved him lightly. "Now you're just flattering me," she accused playfully. "And that's not true, I do need your help from time to time."

       "I'm not flattering you, it's true. You are the most stubborn yet courageous and giving person I have ever met. That's – it's part of the reason why I like you so much," Newt mumbled, the last bit of his sentence trailing away.

       Tina blushed, then gave him a grateful glance. "Thank you," she murmured. "You're more than you give yourself credit for, too. Insightful, compassionate, and brave. And equally stubborn."

       Newt ducked his head with a mixture embarrassment and acknowledgement. "That's good to know," he said. 

       "I think we fit together that way," she said thoughtfully. Her cheeks flooded red as soon as the words came out of her mouth, and she bit her lip.

       Newt glanced up to meet her gaze. "So do I. Like two pieces of the same puzzle."

       Tina smiled and laughed slightly as this. "You can be really poetic sometimes, you know that?" she asked.

       Newt grinned at her in return, and snorted, amused. "Nobody's ever told me that before," he said.

       "Well, I'm glad to be the first," she remarked.

       "You're the first of a lot of things for me," Newt told her. You're the first person I've ever bonded with so immensely, the first to really accept me for who I am, the first that I've kissed, and...I think, the first I've ever truly fallen in love with.