Chapter 21

Tina and Newt were seated down at the kitchen table on Queenie's orders, and the blonde witch was currently standing in front of the stove facing them, wearing a big grin, which Tina knew from experience could mean nothing good. Jacob was also seated at the table, and they were all looking expectantly at Queenie, who was still smiling sinisterly. 

       Tina looked nervously at Newt and Jacob, who seemed politely puzzled as to why they were there. She grumbled silently to herself. What balled up plan could her sister possibly have in mind now?

       "Well," Tina snapped impatiently after Queenie had stood there for a full minute without saying anything, "get on with it."

      Queenie raised her eyebrows scoldingly at her. "Now, Teen, there's no need to take that tone with me," she chided, even though Tina could tell that it had not really bothered her. Queenie paused dramatically, then announced with the air of someone revealing the grand prize to a lucky contestant, "We're going to be baking strudel!"

       Tina snorted. Baking? Really, Queenie?  It really wasn't the sort of activity that could was productive. Tina didn't mind baking, but she thought almost wistfully of the stack of paperwork the she could be doing right now, with the Thunderbird quill she'd gotten from Newt. On the other hand, she reconsidered, maybe it would be fun to bake among friends. And Newt, she added. 

       Newt's face was blank at the prospect of baking. "Baking?" he repeated. He swallowed, then stood up abruptly, and shuffled his way across the room. "Erm, sorry, but I do have things that I've got to do actually, so if you don't mind, I'll just..."

       He made to walk out of the kitchen, but Queenie seized him by the arm and deposited him back into his chair. "Oh, no you don't!" she said. "I know for a fact that all you're beasts have been fed for the day, and your manuscript can wait."

       Newt sat back with a sigh, and he shared a resigned glance with Tina.

       Jacob, on the other hand, was looking positively delighted. "Yes!" he shouted, pumping a triumphant fist into the air. 

       Tina restrained herself from rolling her eyes at both him and Queenie. Of course Jacob would be excited about baking, that was what he did for a living after all. Queenie must have realized this information, too, for now they were even. There were two people who were all for baking strudel, and two people who definitely did not want to partake in what they thought were frivolous activities. 

       Tina sighed, and she heard Newt echoing her, though much more quietly, as though he was wary of offending Queenie or Jacob. 

       "Aw, come on, you two," Queenie begged. "It'll be fun!"

       Tina met Newt's gaze, and she could tell they were thinking the exact same thing. Queenie would not stop pestering them until they agreed, and that meant neither of them would be able to proceed successfully to do something  that they actually wanted to, whether it was paperwork or working on a new manuscript. It would be easier to just bake the strudel, and get on with it. 

       Sighing, Newt and Tina simultaneously said, in very reluctant tones, "Fine."

       Queenie beamed, a gave a little hop of excitement. "That's great!"

       Jacob was looking very cheerful, too, although Tina suspected that this was just because he loved to bake, under any circumstances. 

       "Alright," Queenie said, "do you guys want apple strudel or blueberry?"