Chapter 13

Newt glanced at Tina. He got the feeling that she had deliberately placed herself on Queenie's other side. He couldn't stop thinking about what Queenie said earlier, about the walls around Tina's heart. He thought he had a vague idea of what Queenie was getting at, but he wasn't sure. Something wasn't right with Tina's behavior, he knew that. She had been acting even more distant with him since yesterday in the case, and the few words they had exchanged were clipped and fragile. To be fair, he hadn't exactly been friendly to her either, since Queenie had badgered him about his feelings for Tina.  She definitely didn't feel the same way. 

       Why would she?

       Letting out a tiny sigh, he walked on with the Goldstein sisters, his case swinging slightly in his hand. The atmosphere between the three of them was uncomfortable, with Queenie vainly trying to make conversation between them. It was not a successful attempt.

       "So, Newt, when are you heading back to London again?", Queenie tried.

       "The twenty-seventh."

       "Tina, he should stay longer, shouldn't he?"

       "Mhmm," Tina replied noncommittaly.

       After several more tries that resulted in one word answers, Queenie huffed and sent annoyed glances at both of them. "Are you two even going to speak to each other?"

       Newt's ears burned and he casted a swift, unsure glance at Tina who was currently making an offended scoffing noise in her throat at her sister.

       "We do  speak!" Tina protested, eyes flashing.

       "Not right now, you're not," Queenie insisted.

       Newt felt like he ought to back Tina up. "Well, frankly, I think you're doing enough talking for the both of us."

       Queenie looked affronted. "The both of you have barely been joining in the conversation!"

       "Queenie," Tina said, "Whether we're talking or not isn't your business." 

       Newt could tell she was not trying to be unkind, but Queenie looked hurt anyways. Trying to soothe the matter, he said, "I think the amount of conversation Tina and I have is just fine."

        Queenie raised her eyebrows skeptically. "I know what's going on here, even if both of you are a bit late on the uptake. And let me tell you, treading circles around each other ain't gonna help," she then shook her head, taking them for a lost cause.

       Newt felt his own eyebrows raising. He had no idea what was 'going on here', as Queenie put it. And where was here? Was she talking about this very moment? Or could she have been referring to his somewhat off relationship with Tina?

      Tina looked as if she was a bit more educated on this situation then he was, but before he could ask what Queenie had meant, they reached the end of the street, and spotted Jacob standing outside of his bakery.

       "Hey, guys!" Jacob waved as he joined the group. "What's up?"

       The atmosphere around them changed and became more light-hearted at Jacob's cheery greeting. Queenie gave him a radiant smile, and they began to head towards the park, which was close by.

       They walked through the entrance, which had an elaborately designed archway standing over it. A lady and was walking her dog; the rhinestone studded collar on the dog was shining, complete with the jangling of a bell.