Chapter 40

Newt and Tina walked down the sidewalk, still resolutely ignoring Florence Scamander's hysterical screams echoing up from behind them. Her yells gradually faded away as they reached the end of the block. They came to a halt at the corner, and Newt turned to face Tina.

       "So seeing as my apartment's rather far away, would you mind if we Apparated there?" he asked.

       "Not at all," Tina responded.

       Newt somewhat awkwardly offered his arm to Tina, and as she gripped it, he spun on the spot, causing both of them to disappear in a swirling blur of colors. Their feet landed smoothly on a quiet street, which was lined with various apartments.

       "I live on the next street over from here. I didn't want to Apparate directly there," Newt explained. The truth was, he admitted to himself, that he actually wanted to spend some more time alone with Tina.

       "I get it," she said. "I never like to Apparate right into my house, either."

       They set off down the street, walking close together, but not close enough to touch. Newt glanced up at the sky overhead. It was heavy with bulging, gray clouds, threatening a torrential downpour of rain. They moved sluggishly across the dark sky, chased by a weak but persistent breeze. 

       "I've always liked cloudy days," Tina said, out of the blue. 

       "Really?" Newt said, surprised. He for one didn't really have a preference, but he knew quite a lot of people who tended to moan when the weather got like this. "How come?"

       "Well, for one thing, it's cooler. I like cold weather, that's why I hate summer. Queenie thinks I'm delusional for it, though," Tina said with a small laugh, which sounded slightly forced.

       She looked as though she was already regretting telling Newt this. He saw her visibly cringe, and briefly suspected that she was afraid of him judging her, or maybe even thinking that she was, in fact, delusional.

       "You're not delusional," he quickly assured. "I think summer is overrated. Though the warmer seasons are nice, it means that there are more creatures."

       Tina laughed again, this time more freely. "You and your creatures," she said, shaking her head and grinning. "And I guess winter's too cold for your liking? After all, you did wear four layers while you were in New York."

       "I like to keep warm," Newt said defensively.

       The twosome walked on in a comfortable silence, reaching the end of the block and crossing the road. As they began to walk along the next street, Newt couldn't help but let his gaze trail over to Tina's hand, which was swinging leisurely at her side. Once again, he felt an urge to take it in his own. 

       Before he could talk himself out of it, he blurted out, "I'd like – I mean, erm – may I hold your hand?"

       Tina stopped walking and turned to stare at him. He blushed, and immediately wished that he could take his words back. Embarrassment flooded through him, and he waited anxiously for the brunette to say something, anything.

       "I don't think you're supposed to ask," Tina said finally, still staring at him.

       "Yes, um, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to – if you don't want to, that's fine with me–" Newt stuttered.

       To his surprise, she smiled and grabbed his hand. "Idiot," she murmured softly.

       Newt nearly laughed out loud with relief. Her fingers laced through his, and her hand felt pleasantly soft. He smiled to himself, wanting to shout with glee to the whole world.