Chapter 39

Newt walked down the wide gray sidewalk, Tina at his side. Queenie and Jacob were behind them, murmuring quietly. They had just arrived in London, and were on their way to Newt's parents' house. He had planned for the two newlyweds to hide there from MACUSA, bidding their time. 

       "Now, I must warn you about my mother," Newt said to Tina. "She can be quite..."

       "Excitable?" Tina guessed with a small reminiscent smile. She must be thinking about the Howler.

       "That's one word for it," Newt replied, grinning. 

       A fairly large, white house stood at the end of the block, behind an untamed and overgrown garden. A cobbled path led up to the front door, which was framed by two wide windows. 

       "It's right up there," he said, gesturing toward the house.

       "Thanks for letting us crash here, Newt," Queenie said.

       "It was no problem, really. The only thing is, my family can be rather eccentric at times," Newt warned.

       "Ah, so that's where you get it from," Jacob joked.

       Queenie jabbed him hard in the side, and he immediately put his hands up. "I'm kidding! Kidding!" he said hastily, wincing and rubbing his waist.

       Newt grinned and shook his head. 

       "Yes, it all makes sense now," Tina said wisely. "You must have inherited your mother's genes, Newt."

       Newt glanced at her, his eyebrows raised. He put a hand to his heart in mock hurt. "I'm crying on the inside," he said, though he was laughing, which completely contradicted his statement.

       They reached the front of the house, and Newt was just about to lead them down the path when the front door flew open, and a woman with frizzy orange hair stuck her head out.

       "Newton!" Florence exclaimed. "My little pumpkin's home!"

       Newt cringed inwardly, and the tips of his ears burned. His mother began running down the path, her arms opened wide for a hug. However, she skidded to a halt when she saw Queenie, Jacob and Tina. Florence let out a strangled shriek as her gaze landed on the brunette.

       "Newton, you brought your girlfriend!" she screamed excitedly. 

       "Try to ignore her," Newt mumbled out of the corner of his mouth to Tina, who was looking slightly startled.

       His mother began to race down the path again, but stumbled on a crack in the ground. She stopped for the second time, and whirled around to face it, her face flooding with rage. 

       "HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TRIP ME, YOU STUPID LITTLE INSIGNIFICANT CRACK-IN-THE-GROUND?!" she shrieked.

       Newt, knowing what was about to come, covered his face in embarrassment. "I would advise all of you to kindly avert your eyes from the scene, and plug your ears if you can, too," he whispered to his friends.

       "DO YOU KNOW HOW OLD I AM, YOU IDIOT CRACK? ARE YOU SO SAD THAT YOU HAVE TO GO AROUND TRIPPING OLD LADIES?"

       There was a silence.

       "AND HOW DARE YOU IGNORE ME? WHEN THE GREAT AND MIGHTY FLORENCE SCAMANDER SPEAKS TO YOU, YOU RESPOND! SPEAK, CRACK-IN-THE-GROUND, I COMMAND YOU TO SPEAK! " Florence shrieked, pointing a finger dominantly at the crack.