Chapter 32

Newt poked his head around his door as a pair of squabbling voices reached his ears. Curious, he slipped out from his room and walked down the hall to investigate. The voices grew nearer.

       "We don't need another Christmas tree, we've got one in the closet!"

       "But Teen, that one's fake; Let's get a real one this year!"

       "Queenie, a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree."

       "A real tree would be nicer."

       "We already have a tree!"

       Newt entered the living room to find Tina and Queenie glaring at each other with crossed arms. Tina whirled around as she heard him enter. "Newt, you can settle this. What do you think?" 

       She was looking at him with such a flinty gaze, Newt didn't dare disagree. And besides, an artificial tree was much more sensible in his opinion. It was conservative, and could be reused time and time again.

       "I personally think you should go with the artificial tree," Newt said, glancing at Queenie, who was wrinkling her nose at him.

       "I knew you'd agree with Tina," Queenie said disdainfully.

       Tina seemed pleased that Newt was of her opinion. "Queenie, let's just stick with the one we already have," she implored.

       "But it's gonna be my last Christmas here," the blonde witch countered. "Jacob and I are moving out as soon as we can find a nice enough apartment."

       Ever since their wedding a few days ago, Jacob had been staying throughout the day and overnight at the Goldstein residence, much to Queenie's delight. They would be moving out together when they bought a suitable apartment. 

       Tina placed her hands on her hips. "Don't play the guilt card on me," she snapped.

       Newt spoke up before either of them could continue their argument. "All right, how about we go get Jacob and see what he thinks?" he suggested fairly.

       Both Tina and Queenie were looking slightly ashamed of themselves for acting so childlishly, and mumbled hasty agreements. 

       "Ask me what?" Jacob said as he strolled casually into the living room.

       "Whether you think we should buy a real Christmas tree, or take out the artificial one," Newt filled in.

       "Well when I was a kid," Jacob said thoughtfully, "we always got a real tree."

       Queenie looked ecstatic that someone was on her side. "Well, it's a tie then," she announced as if that settled it.

       "Yes, but why would you purchase a chopped down tree when you can just set up an artificial one that doesn't harm the environment?" Newt argued.

       "He's got a point," Tina pitched in.

       Jacob seemed to be musing this over. "You know," he said slowly to Queenie, "that isn't a bad idea..."

       Queenie looked scandalized. "But a real tree's more festive!" she protested.

       "And an artificial one is more conservative," Newt said heatedly. 

       He normally didn't like to get involved in petty arguments, but conservation and preservation of nature and its environment was something he truly cared about. That was one of the reasons why he traveled the world looking for endangered and trafficked beasts. That, and because he was determined to prove to the magical community that the creatures are not what they seem to be, that they really are quite fantastic.