Chapter 25

"You're rather special yourself, Tina."

      Tina smiled, and blushed faintly. "Thanks," she murmured. 

       She looked at Newt. He was covered in snow from head to foot, she having just dumped an armload of it on him. The flakes were melting in his hair, dusted across his shoulders, and smeared on his overcoat. Some parts of his clothing were wet, and the Magizoologist looked thoroughly sodden. 

       Tina started to laugh at him. I don't know if he looks more ridiculous like this or just plain cuter. 

       Newt's expression was bemused, and slightly offended. "What is it?"

       Definitely cuter. "Nothing," Tina snorted through her laughter.

       Newt looked down at himself for a moment before crossing his arms. "Oh, so you think I look funny right now?" he asked, eyes twinkling.

       "No," Tina said quickly, trying to keep her face straight. "Not at all!"

       Newt didn't respond. Instead, he bent down swiftly and scooped up a large armful of snow, and before she could react, he had released it over her head. Tina was showered in a wave of cold snow, and she was unfortunate enough to have a small portion of it go down her back, which made her yelp and dance around until it had slid down. Absolutely freezing, she turned to glare at Newt, who was fighting back a smile.

       "Oh, very funny, Newt! Now I'm freezing to death," Tina snapped, although she couldn't bring herself to be truly annoyed with the Englishman.

       Newt seemed to know this, too. He grinned lopsidedly at her. "Who's the one that looks strange now?"

       Tina raised her eyebrows, and looked him over. "Still you," she replied coolly. 

       Newt let out a chuckle. "Come on, am I really that stupid looking?" he asked.

       The American witch paused for a moment. "No, not really."

       This evidently had not been the response Newt was expecting, for he turned a vibrant shade of pink and removed his gaze to stare at the scuffed up and snowy ground, muttering something incomprehensible.

       His reaction made Tina feel embarrassed with herself. Why did I have to say that? Just keep your mouth shut from now on, Tina.

       "Should we go back upstairs?" Tina suggested somewhat tentatively. 

       "Seeing as you and I are both sopping wet, I think that would be a good idea," Newt mumbled.

       The two of them left Queenie and Jacob, who had quit their snowball fight and were now building a snowman. They rounded the side of the brownstone and emerged at the front. Tina took the lead, creeping up the stairs quietly and  she put a finger to her lips to indicate that Newt do the same, lest they get caught by the landlady again. However, this was unnecessary, as Newt was already stepping lightly, with the grace and stealth that only an experienced Magizoologist could possess.

       Once they reached the second floor landing, Tina fished in her pockets for her keys, pulled them out, and inserted it into the lock of their door. She pushed it open, and the pair stepped inside. 

       Tina took off her damp coat and jacket, and hung them up, while Newt did the same beside her. He looked a great deal thinner in only his burnt-orange waistcoat and white undershirt, but it didn't seem strange.