Chapter 56

Tina woke up with her head resting on Newt's chest. For a moment, she was absolutely bemused as to where she was, but last night's events quickly refreshed her memories. She smiled to herself as she thought of the stars that shone luminously in the sky.

       Dawn was approaching, and the previously raven-black sky was turning light. Rays of pale, watery light streaked the horizon, followed by thin strips of faint pink and orange. 

       Tina could hear Newt's soft, steady breathing, and the gentle rise and fall of his chest with every breath he took soothed her. She nestled into a more comfortable position, and sighed contentedly. She tilted her head up to gaze at Newt's peacefully sleeping face. 

       He looked so calm and serene. His eyelids twitched occasionally, and he would mumble something in his sleep. Tina smiled as he snuffled and started snoring lightly. She could make out his features in the misty predawn light. Newt's messy mop of hair was untidy and ruffled, and his freckles were scattered casually but perfectly across his nose and cheeks.

       As if he could sense her watching him, Newt made a noise between a sniff and a snort, then blearily blinked open his eyes. He looked disgruntled for a moment, then smiled sleepily as he saw Tina leaning against him.

       "Morning," she greeted.

       "G'morning," he mumbled back. "Did you sleep well?"

       "Like a baby," she replied.

       It was true. Not once did Tina awaken during the night, and she slept soundly through the icy winter coldness. She'd drifted to sleep that night enveloped snuggly in Newt's arms, nuzzling happily into his warmth and forgetting about everything around her except for him.

       "Me too," Newt said.

       "We should get up," Tina murmured, but she didn't really want to. She felt as though she could stay in his embrace forever and not grow tired of it.

       "You're right," he agreed. "The creatures will need feeding."

      Newt groaned as he freed his arms from Tina and sat up. He yawned widely and rubbed his nose, evidently tired. Tina heaved herself up beside him, and reluctantly kicked aside their blankets. Together, they gathered up their belongings and trudged inside.

      Something made Tina pause before the door. She glanced up at the sky overhead, and spotted a tiny red dot that still hung in the sky, barely visible in the light of the rising sun.

       "Look, we can still see Venus," she said to Newt.

       He smiled softly at her. "Yes," he said. "And we'll always be able to."

       Tina's heart thudded wildly, and her breath quickened. She didn't know if Newt meant what she thought he did. At least, I hope so.

       They both glanced once more at the planet before heading inside. Newt haphazardly tossed his blankets onto the couch, and Tina followed suit. She yawned sleepily and self-consciously raked her fingers through her hair, hoping she didn't look too dishelved.

       "Would you like to feed the beasts with me?" Newt offered.

       "In our pajamas?" Tina exclaimed incredulously.

       "I don't see why not," he said.

       Tina swatted playfully at him. "We'll be setting a bad example for your creatures if we do that!"