Chapter 33

Newt rummaged around in his shed, looking for his potion kit. He heard a rapping sound from above him, and walked over to the bottom of his ladder to peer up. Tina had cracked open the lid of the case, and was looking down at him.

       "We're going Christmas shopping right now. Do you want to come?" she invited.

       Newt hesitated. He didn't particularly feel like having an outing right now, but he did need to buy gifts. There was his mother, father, Theseus, and of course Tina, Jacob, and Queenie. And he should probably also get something for his assistant, Bunty, too. After all, she was looking after his creatures in his apartment in London.

A/N: *Spoiler Alert*  For those of you who don't know, Bunty is actually Newt's assistant, and we'll get to see her in Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelwald. And also, I know I wrote that Newt goes home to his family's house, but to clear things up, I just wanted to let you guys know that in the franchise, he also has an apartment of his own in London, where has has more creatures.

       "I'll come," Newt said, climbing the steps of his ladder.

       Tina stepped aside to let Newt emerge, and when he got out, he bent down swiftly to shut the lid of his case, switching the dial on it to Locked. Newt grasped the handle and stood up.

       "You're taking your beasts with you?" Tina asked, though she didn't seem surprised.

       "Yes. I always do. I'd think you of all people should know that by now, what with what happened last year," Newt grinned.

       "You mean when you let that Niffler of yours escape and cause mayhem in the bank? Yeah, I remember," Tina laughed. 

       They walked out of Newt's room and into the living room, where Queenie and Jacob were waiting for them by the doorway. The Christmas tree that they had decorated yesterday was gleaming merrily in the center of the room, the warm golden beams of the lights dancing on the walls. 

       "Finally!" Queenie exclaimed. "What took you guys so long?"

       Newt saw Tina's mouth fall open beside him, wearing an expression appropriate to have just been clubbed over the head. "We took so long?" she said incredulously. "What about all the times that I've had to wait for you?"

       "Relax, Teen, I'm just pulling your leg," Queenie giggled, while Jacob laughed beside her.

       Tina rolled her eyes and sighed, shaking her head. Newt bit back a smile, and the four of them filed out the door and down the stairs. They stepped outside into the bitter winter weather. It was snowing lightly, the white flakes drifting down lazily onto the ground, where they melted within seconds. An icy wind pierced through Newt's hair, and his battered leather case was swaying in the wind. 

       Newt shoved his free hand into the pocket of his greatcoat, and he felt something soft and lumpy at the bottom of it. He closed his fingers around it, and withdrew his hand to find a pair of Tina's former navy blue gloves in his palm. Smiling to himself, he slipped them on, and he thought he could see a skip in Tina's step as she glanced at his felt-covered hands. A fuzzy, tingling feeling crawled slowly up his spine, and he felt his smile broaden.

       "So where are we going?" Newt asked no one in particular.

       It was Tina who answered. "Basically to the American version of Diagon Alley," she replied. 

       A furrow creased Newt's brow as he thought of Jacob. "But what about–?"

       "I guess I'll just have to pretend I'm a wizard, then, right?" Jacob joked.