Chapter Eight

Liam's POV

"Hey Skylar, it's me. Call me back when you get this and please come home," I say to Skylar's voice-mail before hanging up.

I sigh and sit down on the couch next to Zayn.

"Not worry, she'll show up. She can't stay out there forever," Harry says.

As if on cue, the front door swings open. First Niall walks in, then Skylar. I couldn't even be mad at her. Her eyes were puffy and she had tears streaming down her face still. I rushed to her and wrapped her in a hug, but she just ducked out of it and ran upstairs. I heard footsteps, then a door slam.

"I'm sorry, Liam," Niall says, "I couldn't let her walk out like that."

"It's fine, mate," I say, "I should've broken it to her more gently."

"You couldn't have done it any better," Louis says, "it's just her reaction to it. You could say it in the sweetest, most sugar-coated way possible, and she still would've had the same reaction."

"I guess you're right. I'm going to go talk to her," I say before walking up the steps and to Skylar's room.

I knock on the door, but get no answer. I open up the door and see Skylar curled up on her bed. Eyes glued to her TV. I walk in and sit down next to her.

At the end of her bed were a stack of DVDs. I recognized them as home videos. I look up at the TV and see her first day of kindergarten.

She was running off the bus, hair in pigtails, wearing a new dress. She ignored me and our dad. She went straight for our mom, jumping right into her arms. Talking about how great school was and how much she loved her new teacher and her new friends.

I look at Skylar and hug her tight.

"It'll be OK," I shush her.

"But what if it's not?" she says through her tears.

"It will be," I say as I rock her back and forth.

"Just let me be alone for a while," she says.

I leave her room, closing the door behind me.

When I get downstairs, I immediately grab my laptop and go onto a travel website.

"What are you doing?" Zayn asks.

"Arranging for Skylar to see her mom," I say, clicking on the "purchase" button.

"Don't you think that'll just make her more upset?" Niall asks.

"It might, but NOT seeing her mum would just make her a wreck," I say.

"Chances of survival?" Harry chimes in, with a worried look.

"Doctor says slim to none," I look down at my keyboard.

Skylar's POV

I wake up to the sun blinding me through the window. I stretch and see that it was already noon. Then it all comes flooding back to me. Mum. She was dying.

I smelled myself and decided not showering for four days had taken its toll on me.

I jumped in the shower and put on soffie shorts and an old t-shirt before slowly walking down the stairs.

The house was silent. The boys must be at the studio. Thank God, I really didn't want to face all the questions and sympathy. I cut up some fruit and ate.

I looked outside and saw that it was actually a sunny day out. I grabbed my sneakers and tie my hair up in a high pony tail. I begin to run like I did when Liam first told me about Mum. 

I ran past Nando's, past all the shopping centers, past the park, and over the bridge. I ran until I couldn't breathe. When I finally stopped, I was in another town. I walked into a store a bought a bottle of water. As I walked out I heard a chorus of five voices I didn't want to hear in a million years. Or at least at the moment.

"SKYLAR!"

I turn around and saw Liam, Louis, Niall, Harry, and Zayn sitting outside of a restaurant next to the store.

"What are you doing here?" Niall asks, beginning to stand up.

I ran as fast as I could. I didn't care if I could hear Niall calling my name and telling me to stop running. I kept going, I ran back to the same park as four days ago and I didn't stop there. I ran past the flat and into some clothes shop. It was fancy enough that the boys wouldn't be able to find me here.

The lady at the cash register didn't looked pleased with my sweaty appearance.

"I sorta like this dress," an Irish accent says from behind me.

I roll my eyes and cross my arms as I turn around.

"Can't you guys just leave me alone?" I say before storming out of the store.

Suddenly, I was being pulled over someone's shoulder.

"NIALL!" I screamed, pounding on his back.

"Sorry love," he says, "you're coming with me and you are going to talk to those boys about anything! You just need to talk, Skylar!"

He puts me into a car before driving back in the direction of the restaurant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate to say this, but this was my last chapter for a week because of camp. I just wanted to say that I love anyone who is reading this right now! I promise I will update as soon as I get home and get unpacked!! bye everyone! xoxo <3