CHAPTER-16

PAIN

The next morning Arnav got up with ringing of his cell....he took the call

"Chotte... are you fine?"

"Yeah Dadi..."

"Oh today we arranged the puja...so it would be good if you can attend it..." said Devyani pleadingly...

"No Dadi...you know I can't... and I don't want to..."

"But you are alone there...you have to share your pain otherwise it will not lessen...come to us...your Nani is also waiting..."

"You know Dadi I can't come there; especially today...I am fine here..." and he cut the call.

He knew he was rude but he also knew no one can lessen his pain...no one can understand his pain...no one can feel the pain except one... and like every year today on his mother's death anniversary he is not going anywhere leaving the one who is always with him even when his mother took her last breath...

Khushi also arranged puja and they both completed all the rituals together... After that he straightaway went to the room...Khushi knew this is the time when he needs her the most so after giving Payal all the further instructions for donations, left from there...

When she entered the room she saw a familiar scene which always takes her breath away...there her Arnavji was sitting on the floor with Arti Maa's photograph staring at it... she slowly sat beside him and within seconds Arnav hugged her by her waist keeping his head on her shoulders crying his heart out...

"Khushi!!! Stop why are you running?" asked a 9 year old Arnav

"Arnavji... come with me...fast..." said Khushi hurriedly...

"Again Arnavji?"

"Soooo....you are my husband I will call you that only...get used to that..." said Khushi her hands on her waist...

"Unbelievable"

"Now come fast"

"Where?"

"Come to Maa's room...I saw her crying..."

Now that tensed Arnav he quickly got up from bed and they both ran towards Arti's room...

The door was closed...they knocked many times but there were no answers...he was feeling restless now...they again called and knocked but again there was silence...by now every family member came there due to their shouts...they were also feeling weird so Manohar broke the door with the help of the servants...but the scene stunned them...there Arti was taking her last breaths...her hands covered with blood...she has cut both her wrists... all were too shocked to respond anything...Khushi shouted and hugged her...

"Arnavji see Maa is feeling pain, her hands got hurt...please call doctor uncle..."

That brought all others sense back...Arnav ran towards Arti and said... "Maa... is it paining a lot...don't worry doctor uncle will come soon..."

"Khushi Chotte take care of yourselves....be together always...Khushi never leave my Chotte alone...Promise me..." stammered Arti...

"Manohar call the doctor fast..." shouted Devyani...

But before the call gets connected Arti left them....her hands on Arnav and Khushi's joined hands...

"Maa...Maa... get up Maa...doctor uncle is coming Maa...Arnavji see na Maa is not talking..." she looked up to Arnav but was confused to find him still, only staring Maa not even blinking his eyes...She was small but he was big enough to know what happened... and why Maa was not responding anymore...