Childhood Promise (Prinxiety)

Human AU
TW: Some homophobia

At seven years old, Roman and Virgil were inseparable friends. There wasn't a place the two boys wouldn't go, so long as they had each other. Their parents were happy that their children were so close, and that they brought each other happiness in a special way that couldn't exactly be pinpointed or explained.

The two even had a "their own" tree in Virgil's enormous backyard. They went and sat or laid under that large oak tree for hours, not minding the occasionally muddy dirt, or the bugs that would crawl on them, and maybe bite them. At this young age, their life was happy, and simple.

But one day, upon hearing Roman's "signature" knock, Virgil opened his front door excitedly to find an upset boy rather than the bright, energetic one that he knew well.

"Ro? Are you okay?" Virgil asked. His quiet, higher-pitched child voice didn't match the adult-like concern in his tone.

"Can we go to our tree?" Roman asked, dodging the question. He didn't even look up at Virgil now, nor when they sat down beside each other at their tree.

"Ro...I'm scared..." Virgil whined quietly. "Why are you sad?"

"I'm moving, Virge..." Roman replied after a while, wiping his tears with the sleeve of his red knit sweater.

"Moving?! You can't move!!"

"I know! But Mommy and Daddy said they can't stop it because of their jobs..." He sniffled, pulling his knees to his chest, sighing slightly. "I'm sorry..."

"B-But we were going to grow up together...like do-doing things at school with each other...a-and falling in love with people and go on double dates and stuff like they do in those Hallmark movies Dad likes...you're my only friend don't leave, please!"

Roman looked over at him. Both boys had tears streaming down their faces rapidly, and at this point, they didn't even try to wipe them away.

"H-How about...when we're bigger, we can go on a date...and make up for the years I've been gone...?" Roman suggested quietly, sniffling as he spoke. "We could find each other again, somehow..."

"R-Really?" Virgil looked up at his slightly taller friend, fidgeting a bit with his sweater paws.

Roman nodded, "I promise, Virgil."

With nearly identical slight smiles, the two embraced each other, not ever wanting to let go.

10 Years Later

Growing up without Roman by his side was hard for Virgil. Being close to only one person for so long, then losing them had their disadvantages, such as making it harder for Virgil to socialize and befriend others, not wanting to lose them just like he lost Roman. He walked through the halls of his high school as an outcast, emo, and unfortunately, perfect bully-material.

He had just walked outside of the school at the end of the day when he felt it. Two large hands grip his shoulders tightly, and his body tensed with anticipation of pain. Sure enough, he was forcefully turned around and pressed into the brick outer wall of the school. His eyes slowly met with Mason Moore, a football player who was only a grade ahead of Virgil, making him a popular and rather rude Senior.

"There you are, rainbow boy. You've been avoiding me all day, haven't you?"

Had he? Virgil really hadn't noticed. At this point, he didn't even try to fight back or even attempt to stay away from Mason, at least, not intentionally. He just took whatever Mason threw at him now, enduring every insult and hit he was given.