Can't Be Erased (Logince)

Written for the CIC on the TSFA (and the Alternative Universe Challenge)

Theme: Steampunk
AU: Alternative Victorian Steampunk

This AU is a mashup of a few others. It mixes steampunk, and a sort of alternate Victorian era. It doesn't have the best title, but for what I had in mind I wanted to give it its own sub genre of steampunk. but I am very proud of how this turned out.

Important to note: Being gay in this alternative society is just as accepted as being straight.

TW: Brief mentions of death, mentions of body horror (though not in depth)

Even as a young boy, Logan Sanders already exhibited signs of a bright, intelligent mind. He craved knowledge, using what little funds he gained during each work day to scrounge up enough for books. Or, if he was lucky, he could borrow a few from a kind or typically wealthy neighbor. His free time was committed to burying his nose in a book and reading rather than playing with the other children. He was used to being picked on, his bifocals tossed around and returned covered in dirt. He was taunted verbally and physically, but as long as he had his book still in his hands at the end, he could try and tolerate most of it.

Years came and went. Logan, orphaned at the tender age of ten, was sent to live with his wealthy aunt and uncle. Though they lived much more luxuriously than he had prior, they were very strict and bitter people. The young boy soon adapted to their rules and managed to stay on their good side, occasionally getting a reward for his good behaviour by being allowed to visit their library and take a few books back to his room. For his twelfth birthday, he was gifted an empty notebook. And that's when all the ideas he had stored in his head just poured out as he wrote, filling page after page. Noticing his potential, his aunt and uncle soon invested in a private tutor.

With his eighteenth birthday now here it came time Logan needed his own home, a place to house his workshop and future family. He built himself a home from the ground up, making a fabulous workshop for him to pursue his dreams to become an inventor. With his skills in math and science under his belt, he was determined to mark his name down in the history books. For what for, he wasn't quite sure. However, he would soon find out with one simple mistake . . .

* 1844 *

Logan hurriedly added more side notes to his already complex notes and diagrams that filled his worn notebook. He had a plan for a brilliant machine. It would look just like human man, only made from scrap metals. His inspiration? A book he'd recently gotten his hands on called  . . . Frankenstein. It was a fascinating read, and it had him hooked.

Soon, Logan began collecting pieces for his machine. Scrap metals as well as stolen pieces from the streets soon collected into their respective piles in his workshop. He would take breaks from his work and stroll down the congested, dirty streets, keeping an eye out for anything the inventor could find of use. Turning down a rather dirty street, his eyes caught sight of a particularly gruesome sight.

A man, who looked like one who had not quite seen the turn of twenty had been thrown into a trash heap. By the looks of it, he'd been beaten and left for dead. Surely enough, the man was gone.

Hesitating, Logan walked over and knelt beside him, looking him over. He couldn't just leave him, could he? Swiftly yet carefully, he put the man in his scrap bag, hurrying back to his workshop. He laid the body across his table, looking him over. A new idea soon found its way into Logan's head. It was dark, disturbing. But in the end . . . he carried it out. His design received a few different amendments, as metal wouldn't be the only resource used . . .