The Boy With The Purple Headphones (Moxiety/Royality)

Story Squad - Moxiety Amino
Theme: AU's

Human/Soulmate AU

Virgil Lowry couldn't stop nodding his head and tapping his foot to the beat of the song he was listening to. Normally, he'd be very self-conscious. But he was just too into it, stuck in his own little world, thanks to the music. He had a little smile on his face whenever he wasn't lip-syncing to all the words.

Unbeknownst to him, his classmate, Patton Sanders, watched him curiously, a smile playing on his features and his eyes seeming to light up at the sight in front of him. His eyes flicked from Virgil, going to the writing on his wrist. It was almost like a tattoo he never remembered getting. Everyone had something similar, but they also had different phrases, varying from person to person. These words, these phrases, they were supposed to be the first words your soulmate said to you.

Patton always hated the words he had. If he wasn't underage, he could walk into a bar and hear his phrase used as a greeting over and over. It was so generic, it wasn't special. He hoped that when his soulmate says this, it would be immediately followed by 'it's a prank!' or 'just joking!', rather than pure seriousness.

His eyes went to Virgil. From what he vaguely knew about him, he hadn't lived in Florida for long, and his parents were divorced and he'd only came here to move in with his dad. From rumors, Patton heard that he suffered from severe anxiety, and depression. People even pointed out to the fact he always wore hoodies even in the hot Florida sun. Just thinking about it made Patton's heart ache and go out to him, whether all the rumors were true or not. And, of course, there was also the big thing floating around about the boy with the purple headphones.

He was gay.

It was one of those things people just assumed, whether it was confirmed or not. And it definitely hadn't been confirmed by Virgil. It wouldn't even be a big deal in other circumstances, but in their school, there wasn't that many LGBTQ+ people. The homophobes here outweighed the rainbow by a lot, unfortunately.

But what if he was gay? Just like me? That's what Patton constantly heard in his head. The what ifs. Now that he was focused on it, he had to wonder...

Maybe Virgil was his soulmate?

Patton shook his head a bit, trying to clear it. Just because there were rumors about Virgil being gay doesn't mean that A) He actually is and B) He's Patton's soulmate. So what if there was hardly gay people in school? He might not even meet his soulmate in school, let alone this one. The whole situation was unpredictable.

Patton was about to look back to Virgil once more, but before he could do so, he felt a tap on his shoulder, making him turn his head and body to look. He ended up having to tilt his head back after as he sat in his seat to look at the boy who towered over him. He recognized him to be Roman Hall, one of the few openly gay kids here. This little piece of information caused Patton to have an odd feeling in his chest.

"How are you, cutie?"

Patton froze. Those words. Those four little words. His eyes flicked down to his arm, where the words 'How are you, cutie?' were written. Roman Hall...was his soulmate? His heart broke a bit. Sure, Roman was nice, albeit a bit arrogant and dramatic. But he wasn't Patton's type. At least, he didn't think he was. But apparently the universe knew what Patton needed, and decided Roman was the best match for the sweet, happy Patton.

Just as Patton looked back to Roman, still silent, he noticed out of the corner of his eye Virgil staring right at them. A blush rose to his cheeks, and he tried to block him out. Roman was his soulmate, and that was that...no other feelings for other people mattered now. And Patton just had to deal with it.

Ten years later

It was still surreal for Patton to climb into bed, then curl and cuddle into his husband, Roman Hall. They'd been married for two years, and Patton had learned to love him and his eccentric ways. Nearly all thoughts of Virgil had retreated from his mind.

That is until he saw what was on the news.

Roman was fast asleep, and the TV in front of them cast a blueish glow on everything. The volume was low and soft, but even then, he could hear the newsman over the sound of Roman's snoring.

"Gainesville's own Virgil Lowry is making our Floridian town his first stop on his tour, Can't Get You Out Of My Headphones."

At the sound of Virgil's name, Patton froze. He slowly moved away from Roman and sat up, leaning forward and watching the screen intently as a photo of Virgil came up. He looked nearly the same, even ten years later. His hair was bright purple, with some of his natural brown showing through. He wore fancy, new headphones with a 'VL' on it, most likely from a sponsor. In the photo, his hair was flying up around his face, hands shoved in the pocket of a nice leather jacket as he looked down with his eyes closed. Around his head like a halo, the words 'Can't get you out of my headphones' were in smoky black and dark purple.

The newsman continued talking, giving a little background on the younger musician, though it was all things Patton already knew. He couldn't move from his spot on the bed, despite the fact his back was hurting from leaning forward. He glanced over at his husband, then back to the TV. He felt his old feelings rise up in him, and he struggled to hold them back.

"Focus. You're with Roman. Roman is your soulmate, and you love him. It's meant to be..." Patton muttered to himself. He looked down, then quickly glanced up at the TV. He caught one more look of the boy with the purple headphones, and then he was gone again.

*•*•*•*•*

Sorry, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted a story. I'm just really stressed with band, school, and some problems with family and mental health. But I'm doing okay.

Love you all!!