[11.] Maybe One Day

MY FINGERS HOVER over her name

Christian gave me Francesca's number two days ago, and I was yet to use it. I spent two hours yesterday doing the same thing I'm doing now: staring at her name. I keep on putting my phone off and then switching it back on after calling myself a coward.

Ludmila hadn't pushed me to call her again. Once I told her I had added Francesca's number, she was proud of me for coming this far.

Whenever I think about finally calling her, I envision her entangled with Tomas, and suddenly I feel sick. Part of the sickening feeling is jealousy. She had moved on magnificently, and I couldn't even look at another woman with the intention of sleeping with her.

It's as if my breakup with Francesca will be a permanent scar on my heart. Perhaps if I just mended our friendship, then at least I will be able to stomach the idea of being with another woman.

You didn't hear this from me, but Fran is heading to the Monte Park.

I smile at Christian's message. I had to make an effort. He had spent a lot of time trying to convince me to speak to her, and I couldn't let him down. I grab my car keys and rush out the house.

It was time.

I OVERESTIMATED MY confidence

Francesca was under a few trees on her back, taking a picture vertically upwards. She looks at the photograph and smiles. When she puts her camera down, she notices me standing a few metres away.