[23.] I Knew You Two Could Work It Out

A WEEK IS long enough to get over a fling, I'm sure

A fling is generally meaningless and definitely does not you leave with a gaping hole in your chest where you heart should be. A fling does not leave you cold and shivering all over because even after years, you've never been able to feel the same warmth you did when they were next to you. A fling does not fundamentally affect you and inhibit you from ever moving on and finding some semblance of happiness.

If it was not obvious enough already, Francesca was never a fling. A week was not enough to shove down my desire to pull her into my arms and kiss her senseless. Four years was not enough.

Ludmila has been gone for a week on her honeymoon in Mauritius. It was more of pre-honeymoon because they would be going for a month to Italy at the end of the year, and it was not a good time to leave work for that long. I had been the one to convince them to go this short getaway so that they were at least given a chance to be newlyweds alone. I bought them a camera so that they were forced to leave their phones at the hotel to stop themselves from checking up on work (and me).

In the meantime, I dove into work. For the first few nights after the wedding and encounter with Francesca, I had just lied in bed for hours only catching about one to four hours maximum of sleep. After that, I gave up on even trying to fall asleep with all the thoughts buzzing in my mind and tried to focus on work. I tried to stay away from any accounting because I was not in the right mind to look at such large numbers and try to make sense of them.

For the first time in years, I wished I had my father. Not because I thought he would actually have the heart to comfort and console me, but because he's the only person who can get my head out of the gutter. His hardened personality created discipline and even though I no longer pissed my pants when he so much as glared at me, there was a part of me that would always obey his command. Call it a force of habit.

It would also help to have somebody sane to look at the work that I was doing. Unfortunately, a general manager in the company had just resigned which meant I was stuck trying to train somebody. It just so happened that that was the branch of work where I could really use some help. I suppose it worked out in the end, it gave me a reason not to sleep and dream about Francesca in my arms.