[21.] Nothing Happened

WEDDINGS ARE NOT fun, so never listen to anybody who ever tells you that

I love Ludmila more than life itself, but I have never hated her more. Camila and I have been dragged around for the last few hours, and we have come out with nothing. Absolutely nothing. My feet are aching and I have to beg Ludmila to let us relax for a few minutes.

"I have to go. I have a meeting in two hours. But I have already tried on my dress, so I am all set. I will see you on Friday, love." Camila kisses Ludmila's cheek. As she walks away, she sends a cheeky wink my way and I glare at her.

If only I could get away that easily.

"Leon!" A voice, which I instantly (guiltily) immediately recognise as Francesca's, pauses before sounding again, "and Ludmila."

Ludmila's expression softened. No matter how she had felt about her, her father has passed away a month ago and she felt sympathetic.

"Wedding planning," Ludmila says. There is a flash of pain on Francesca's face, perhaps the knowledge that she completely excluded from it. However, she forces a smile onto her face.

"I remember you wanted a spring wedding. I always said I preferred summer, but you said spring was even more beautiful. Oh the books you filled with pictures hastily cut from magazines. We had never put so much effort into anything before. Your mother would laugh at us while reminding us that our wedding would not be the pinnacle of our lives.

"I remember being so jealous of yours because it just looked so much better than mine. Leon always laughed at mine and said that it was some stupid dream of mine. But god, it made us so happy. Dreaming about the perfect dress, perfect colours, perfect venue, perfect table arrangements and of course the perfect groom." There is a wistful, glassy look in her eyes as she trails off.

Ludmila quickly swipes at a tear. She groans before pulling Francesca into a hug. I look away, feeling as if I was intruding. I felt my heart get lighter knowing that they had finally reconciled. It was difficult to make peace with Christian's death, but not having her best friend made it worse.