Chapter 9

Alexa's PoV

Reluctantly, I slowly opened my eyes to reveal the unfamiliar room that appeared before me. My eyes wandered around as I blinked, trying to adjust to the brightness.

I thought back to what happened, I had come to find Max and now I was lying on a couch. I looked around the living room just as he came in through the door.

"Here," he handed me some water and painkillers. "How are you feeling?"

His voice seemed to have softened, the genuine concern in it was apparent causing warmth to spread over me.

"I want answers." I got straight to the point, after swallowing the blue and white pills.

He pressed his lips into a thin line, as though he was considering what to do.

"I can't do that here, not now."

"Why not!" I was starting to get annoyed, I need answers.

He grabbed his head as though my raised voice caused it pain.

"Because the guys could get back at any moment and you can't be seen here. How about this," he considered. "You come with me, outside, and if by the end of the day you still want to know, I'll tell you everything."

Wait the guys? How many lived here?  Actually, the house was huge, even bigger than Cathy's so it would make sense if he lived with the others.

That wasn't the point though, he thought I would change my mind by the end of the day? Everything was so confusing, what did he know that I didn't?

"Okay." I simply agreed.

He walked to the door. "Let's go."

I followed him outside.

"Where are we going?" We only have several hours until the end of the day.

"To a shop."

A shop?

We took a different bus which took us to the center of the city.

He walked at a quick pace down some small, grey alleyways. We arrived at a tiny shop that looked like some small convenience store. A bell rung as he walked in, not bothering to see if I was following him.

The same sound echoed around the shop as I walked in, to see a tall man come from the back of it. He was wearing some old clothes with a few rips on them, and some grey jeans as he walked forward to hug Max.

"Hey, how are you doing?" The tall man said, with a deep voice.

"Good thanks, how's everything here?"

"The business isn't doing well to be honest." The man said, scratching the back of his head.

"Anyways, you better get started, you're late." He motioned to the counter, "not that I'm surprised though." He muttered the last part.

As Max moved to the back door, the tall man's eyes landed on me. "Who's this?" He had an amusing glint in his eyes.

"Alexa, she'll be helping out." He replied shortly.