Chapter 22

I was walking in the woods, enjoying the fresh air as the birds chirped happily on the branches. Humming along to my favourite tune, I reached a road that led to my house. My hand held a bunch of daisies I had picked to give to my mom and dad and I couldn't wait to see their smiling faces again. The road was quiet except for a few cars passing by and I was careful to look both ways before crossing the road.

A car slowed down and the window was pulled down to reveal my dad smiling at me. "Hey sweetie, jump in!"

I cheered up. "No it's okay. I was going on a walk."

He laughed and said, "Okay, I'll see you at home."

He waved at me and pulled down the window as I waved back at him enthusiastically with every strength I had.

He was back from work early and so we were going to eat all together. I couldn't wait to have mom's favourite dish.

I watched dad's car as it got further away and reached a junction. My smile quickly disappeared as I watched a car speed past and crash straight into his car.

Shock crossed my face as the daisies fell out of my hand, hitting the road in what seemed like slow motion. I ran up to him, screaming as tears ran down my face. His body was out of the car and covered in red, I shook him. "Please wake up. Please. Dad, please don't do this to me!"

"Please!" I jumped in my bed. Cold sweat covering my forehead.

My body was shaking and I felt tears threatening to fall. It was the middle of the night and Cathy was still asleep. I always felt like a bother when I was panicking and in such a state and didn't want to wake her up.

But my nightmares were back, of when I was little and lost my dad. I felt powerless and missed him so much.

I found my feet start to move on their own as I walked to the door. I needed some air.

When I opened the door I stepped back in shock as my face nearly collided with a hard chest. Frantically, Max's eyes searched mine when he decided to pull me by the arm.

He brought me downstairs and through a door to what appeared to be a study. There were large piles of books and a desk.

"Are you okay?" His gentle eyes stared into mine.

"Y-yeah." I stuttered still in shock.

"You're my mate, I could feel how restless and afraid you were. Please tell me?" He showed genuine concern.

"Ha, I can't believe mates can feel each other's feelings.." I changed the subject.

"Mates also worry about each other. A lot. Let me help you in any way I can."

"I-" tears pricked in my eyes.

He sat me down on the desk so that I was eye level with him. "I'm here." He put a hand on my shoulder, comforting me.

His touch was always great at calming me down and I felt my body relax. Gaining back my breath I felt like he needed to know.. "Years ago, I lost my dad in a car accident.."

I trailed off, his eyes widened slightly as he nodded, telling me to get it off my chest.

"I watched the car crash into him. I stayed by his side as the ambulance came and told them he would wake up. I told them he wouldn't leave me but... "

He pulled me into his arms, running his hand through my hair.

I inhaled his scent that usually would have my heart racing, but right now, I felt safe. In his arms, I tightened my grip on his shirt, needing to feel his touch and reassure me of his presence.