Chapter 35

Everything was finally over. We could have our peaceful "happily ever after" and not worry about a bunch of hunters on our backs.

...Except there was one thing we had to do first.

"Mom, Matt, Lily." I said whilst hugging each one of them after the other. "It's great to have you back."

They were all smiling, having probably missed their home.

"How were things at Cathy's house?" My mom wondered.

I bit my lip, realizing I skipped over that small detail.

"About that. I stayed in my other friend's house." I motioned for Max to come out of the living room.

Matt's eyebrows knitted together whilst my mom crossed her arms.

"Um it's not what you think. He shares a house with about 20 more people so it's not like it was just us. I had my own room and everything." I got the words out as fast as I could, letting out a breath when I finished. I skipped over the fact that the actual number of people was closer to 100.

"Oh," my mom visibly relaxed. "You must be that friend." She smiled.

"Actually.." Max looked at me and I gave him a reassuring nod. "I'm her boyfriend." He awkwardly got out, most probably feeling pressured in front of my mom.

I stared at the blank expressions on both Matt and my mom's faces.

"Well don't all speak at once." I muttered, uncomfortably.

My mom snapped out of it. "Sorry it's just I didn't expect to leave and come back to my daughter suddenly getting a boyfriend."

I awkardly laughed, whispering under my breath. "Pretty unbelievable right."

"Well, how about we all have supper together to catch up on things." Matt rubbed his hands together whilst walking off into the kitchen.

We all followed, agreeing to cook supper together since it would be more fun that way. They spoke about their trip and our relationship wasn't mentioned until Matt finally spoke up around the table.

"So how long have you been together?" He wondered.

"Not that long." I evaded the question, not fully knowing the answer.

My eyes were avoiding theirs whilst looking at what food I wanted to eat.

A few plates elegantly decorated the table under the warmly-lit lights. The chicken especially looked appetizing and I reached over to grab a bit of it.

Max reached for it at the same time and I thought I would have to fight him for it since he pushed my fork away. Before I could protest, I saw him cut a piece of chicken and drop it in my plate. My lips stretched into a smile and if it wasn't for my mom's questioning looks my heart would be racing right now.

She was acting weird, if it was any other time she would be ecstatic at the fact that her daughter managed to land herself a boyfriend. Yet here she sat, quietly at the table, whilst looking quite reserved.

We talked for a while, I hadn't realised how hungry I was until I finished two plates all by myself.

I thought everything was going to be fine until Matt asked Lily to go to bed so the "adults could talk."

"So.." My mom started, looking visibly nervous. "How long were you planning on keeping it a secret that you're going out with a werewolf?"

By the time she had finished her sentence she effectively had my full attention. My eyes widened and I was too shocked to say anything.