the night we met

••••
"i had all and then, most of you
some and now,
none of you"
~the night we met, lord huron
••••
colbys pov (this is set five years in the future, not present day)

my eyes are heavy as they stare up to the ceiling. my mind draws figures in the empty space above me.

"colby!" sam yells from the hallway.

"what" i answer, loud enough so he can hear, but quiet enough so no one else can.

he opens the door to my room to find me laying in the same place on my bed. the same place i was earlier when he came to talk to me.

"y/n's here." he looks at me with pity.

"that's great." i sarcastically say.

"she wants to see you." he tells me.

i shoot up in bed and look at him.

"are you sure?" i ask.

"she asked for you. i don't know what it's about." he told me as he got up from the couch. "she's downstairs. i'll tell her to wait a few so you can get yourself together." he closes the door behind him as he leaves.

it's been forever since i've seen y/n. i mean, i've seen her at parties and around town, but i haven't had a real conversation with her since we broke up.

it wasn't a bad break up. we both just decided it would be best to take a little break.

but a little break turned into a long break.

and then she found him.

she's been with matt for almost three years now.

it's crazy thinking that it's been that long since we've had a real conversation.

i remember being so angry with her and with myself when she got together with matt.

because i was still so deeply in love with her.

but it's okay, because i've moved on.

i get up from my bed and look in my mirror. i don't really care that i look awful.

i walk down the stairs and find her standing near the front door. seeing her is so strange.

"hey!" she exclaims, noticing me come down the stairs. she seems to be in a good mood.

"hey" i smile at her. i embrace her in a hug. the feeling is nostalgic.

"how have you been?" she asks.

"pretty good, you?" i tell her.

"that's actually what i wanted to talk to you about." she pulls something out of her purse and holds it in her hands.

"what's up?" i question.

she hands me the object. i look down at it and my eyes go wide.

"you're getting married?" i look back up at her, eyes still wide and heart racing.

she nods her head and a huge smile comes across her face.

"i wanted to bring this to you in person. i know we used to date, but i still consider you a really good friend and i want you there for my special day." she explains.

i stand in shock, looking at her and to the invite repeatedly.

"you don't have to come if you don't want to. the other roommates are invited too and it would mean a lot to me." she tells me, obviously noticing my shock and confusion.