crazy

your pov

"good morning colby" i smiled, walking into his room.

"hey y/n/n." colby sighs, not looking me in the eyes. i know something is wrong.

"what's wrong?" i ask, moving closer to where he's sitting on his bed.

"everyday i wake up here, i question if i even want to wake up at all anymore."

"colby, don't say that,"

"no, y/n, you don't get it. every night you get to go home and see your family and sleep in your own bed and have actual communication with people outside of this building. but me, i have to stay here all day everyday with no social interaction with anyone except for you and the other psychopaths here."

"i'm sorry colby." i look into his eyes, deep with thoughts and full of tears. "i'll come back in a little bit to get you for breakfast."

"please don't leave y/n/n." he pleaded.

"get dressed. i'll be back soon. i promise." i leave his room and close the door behind me, walking down the white hallways.

colby is one of my patients at the mental health facility i work at. i've "taken care" of him for almost two years now.

i hate saying that i "take care" of him. he can take care of himself. i believe i'm just here to talk to him and be a friend when no one else is.

he admitted himself here. he told me he thinks he's losing his mind. he tells me about the voices in his head that tell him he's not good enough and that he doesn't have a place in the world. no one deserves to go through that, especially not someone as sweet and kind as colby.

and although it's difficult, i have to keep my feelings for him private. it's against the policy here for a nurse to have any romantic relationship with a patient. it could get me fired.

anyways, colby doesn't feel the same way. he always talks about this girl he used to talk to before he came here. he says she's the only reason he was kept sane for a long time.

i remember the first day i met colby like it was yesterday. his striking blue eyes full of confusion and sadness, his messy brown hair that swept over his eyes, his half-smile he gave when i introduced myself.

and we've been close ever since. he requested to have me be his full time nurse and not just an aide. i spend most hours of the day with him, taking him to his meals and to therapy sessions. he doesn't believe any of the stuff they tell him actually works. he told me he thinks he's getting worse.

i know all about his family and his old friends and his dreams and his passions. colby's a very complex human. i'm still trying to figure him out.

i snap out of my thoughts and decide to go get him for breakfast. we eat every meal together, so i'm okay with coming into work every morning starving.

i walk back to his doorway and knock on the door. i hear him shuffling around and then a quiet "yeah".

"you ready?" i ask, opening the door. i'm a little shocked when i see that he has no shirt on. "sorry i'll come back" i start to close the door while my cheeks turn a bright pink.

"it's fine, come in." he opens the door wide enough for me to come in and closes it behind me. "what's on today's agenda?" he asks in an annoyed tone.

"not much really. they had to move your session because there's a new patient and they had to find a slot for her. they think you're at the point where you don't need them everyday."

"interesting." he mumbles as he puts the shirt over his head.

"you seem off today, what's up?" i question.