Prologue

(WARNING: This book contains mature/sexual content)

Madison
Monday, June 30th

I groaned internally when I walked into the master bathroom to find that it was an absolute disaster. A disaster that I am dreading to clean up. There were white towels that were just left on the floor in a heap, shoved into a corner, a box of bobby pins that I assumed had fallen off the counter and spilled all over the floor, old razors sitting on the side of the porcelain tub and on the counter next to the sink, hair accessories scattered all over the counter, and urine left in the toilet.

That is beyond disgusting, and the smell is horrid! Lucky me, I have to walk by the toilet to get to the towels.

I took a deep breath before rushing over to the towels. I almost gagged when I passed by the toilet to gather them, the thick aroma from the toilet hitting my nostrils.

I think it's been sitting there since early this morning.

It's past noon now.

Just thinking about that made me want to vomit because why is it so hard to flush? Literally, pee and flush. That's it. Kind of gets me thinking how this family owns a successful company when they can't even flush their own piss.

Rolling my eyes, I used my foot to quickly flush the toilet, relieving the poor bathroom of the godawful stench. I carried the pile of used towels out of the bathroom and over to where I had an empty basket sitting on the carpeted floor of the master bedroom, dumping them in.

I'll wash the towels after I clean the bathroom.

I wandered back into the bathroom, looking around for another place to start cleaning up. I opened the shower door and started to arrange the many soaps that was scattered around, but when I moved a Head and Shoulders bottle to place it in the soap rack, I was met with a clump of hair balled up behind it that I almost had mistaken as a brown mouse.

"I need a new job. I don't get paid enough for this shit," I grumbled to myself as I pinched the wet ball of hair with my gloved fingers and threw it in the trash. I gagged when I heard the hair drop into the trashcan with a 'splat'.

"Yep, that's it. I'm taking a break."

I forced the plastic gloves from off my hands and tossed them in the trash to join the hair before walking out of the bathroom.

I need to look for another job while I eat my lunch. I am honestly tired of being paid the lowest minimum wage to clean up such a revolting home of a family who is afraid to even clean up after themselves. It's honestly so depressing. It's sad when the children's room looks cleaner than the adults room.

I made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen where I opened the refrigerator, grabbing my bagged lunch off the top shelf. I brought a simple lunch, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a sandwich bag full of veggie straw chips. I also brought a few water bottles with me to drink.

After I sat down at the glass dining table I had just cleaned an hour ago with a bottle of Windex, I pulled my phone out to see a few Twitter and Instagram notifications displayed on the lock screen.

Okay, job hunting time!

I unlocked my phone and clicked on the safari app at the bottom of the screen, bringing me to a previous search from yesterday of Malamute puppies. My brother, Aiden, didn't believe that my uncle Ricky's new puppy is a Malamute.

Oh my goodness, this one has a scrunchy face! He looks so-

Job hunting, Madison. Not puppy hunting.

I typed in a site that my dad suggested I try since it's suppose to share my resume with different places and companies and send me job offers. Apparently it's super easy to use because my cousin, Jenna, got a secretary job with a wealthy company. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, really.

The site's screen loaded up and it asked me to type in my personal info and attach my resume, which I gladly did, having saved my resume in the word document app on my phone.

Once I clicked 'submit' at the bottom of the site, it came up with a blue loading screen that said 'your resume is under review'. I ate my sandwich while I waited for about five minutes before the screen blanked out to a different one that began to fill with several job offers. I was baffled by how fast it took.

I scrolled through the different offers to find a lot of them that were uninteresting. I even refreshed the page only to have more boring offers to load in.

I sighed, brushing a couple of loose strands of hair back that had fallen out of my bun.

I really need a great job. I need one that is going to finally help me get somewhere in this world. I mean, when you're low on money to the point where you struggle to feed yourself and pay off bills such as credit cards, a car, and an apartment, it's scary. I have to watch what I buy all the time. It's either one or the other, 'do you really need this' or 'it's not worth it'. It makes life a bit more complicated than it really has to be.

Scrolling though the offers some more, my eye caught a job offer that looked to be promising. It's still housekeeping but for a penthouse.

'Personal Penthouse Maid: 56 Leonard Street, Unit PH54, TriBeCa, Manhattan, New York, 10013.'

I clicked on the offer and read through.

'Personal Penthouse maid needed for cleaning and maintaining a 5,492 square foot penthouse, 9 rooms, 4 beds, and 4.5 baths.'

Holy moly, that's a lot of penthouse to clean.

I scrolled through some more looking for how much they're willing to pay for such services, and my eyes nearly bugged out of my head when I saw the price.

Fifty dollars an hour!? Holy shit!

Sign me the fuck up!